Berger VLD match for hunting?

S_____ Techs will tell you that you should not use Matchings on game(wink,wink)but that plenty of game has been killed by them.

I run the 144 Hybrid long range target bullet in my 6.5 PRC. I opened up the tip using .060 jewelers drill bit and they worked like a charm. Shot my SpeedGoat at 564 on a quartering away shot. Entered the back rib cage, exited just behind the front shoulder. Took out both lungs and top of the heart. Exit would was like a ping bong ball size. Walked 5 steps, spins around and DRT. I plan on using it on my Coues deer hunt later this year. Run it and don't look back.

People with this ammo shortage, I will have to go hunting Aoudad sheep with a 7mm rem mag and Berger's VLD Match 168 bullets
The question is, am I making I mistake?
I'd read already some post, old post, that talks about good results hunting with VLD match and Hybrid Berger bullets
I use them for hunting all the time. They do just fine

Shoot what you got, make a good shot and collect your Aoudad. In response to an earlier post I am in my late 50s and I am lucky enough to still have my father around if he heard me speak to a man that way I would have to dig his boot out of my ---
Shoot what you got, make a good shot and collect your Aoudad. In response to an earlier post I am in my late 50s and I am lucky enough to still have my father around if he heard me speak to a man that way I would have to dig his boot out of my --- Good deal it looks like that post was removed

People with this ammo shortage, I will have to go hunting Aoudad sheep with a 7mm rem mag and Berger's VLD Match 168 bullets
I'd read already some post, old post, that talks about good results hunting with VLD match and Hybrid Berger bullets
Berger VLD 180 grain…. You're gonna be just fine

Attachments

• 5B6AFE55-581F-42E1-8799-A70445E5A485.jpeg
    5B6AFE55-581F-42E1-8799-A70445E5A485.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 87
  • FDEFC2E0-AA60-415A-AAD2-987EC4DB021A.jpeg
    FDEFC2E0-AA60-415A-AAD2-987EC4DB021A.jpeg
    788.7 KB · Views: 83
It took me until I was well into my 30's to figure out that I didn't know more than my father. That was when I became capable of learning from the old gent, and by the time I was your age I was reaping huge rewards from tapping his wisdom. I'm glad that your respect your father's wisdom & guidance - that will serve you well. One of the things I learned from him was to keep my mouth shut when some smart-aleck idea popped into my head, and that speaking like a gentleman has great value.

On the matter of match bullets for game, it seems to me that as long as the bullet has a fairly long shank, it doesn't seem to matter that the front end is pretty frangible. If the pointy end completely fragments, but the long shank remains intact, there will be plenty of penetration to get the job done. This means heavy-for-caliber match bullets. Has that been your experience ?

Hey Corky, maybe lay into the accelerator a bit and get the old Delorean up to 88MPH so the flux capacitor can take you back to 1955 when Core-lokts were at the top of bullet technology?

Meanwhile, here in the real world, there are plenty of freezers full of game and lots of dead varmints taken with Berger VLD-M and Hybrids.

Nothing worse than a know-it-all that talks out his mud flap while telling the rest of us free citizens what we should and should not do.

The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked.
Seems silly to quote my own post but when they took down ole' Corky's post, it removed the quote from mine and makes it look like I was responding to OP - not the case, needed to clear the air.

SDB

I've killed plenty of Coues deer and mulies with the 180gr Hybrid target. Put the bullet in the crease and Berger flop will be the result.