Meplat trimming?

RangerBrad

I read an older article about reloading from this site recently and it explained trimming bullets to remove the meplat for better bullet cosistancy. How many of yal use this and what has been your experience with improved accuracy. I, just like all of us want precision accuracy however at what point do you reach the point of dimminished return. Is meplate removal a requirment for better accuracy? Thank's, Brad

I did it for a while and decided it was tedious and if my groups improved it was not enough to be sure. I would say that makes it "debatable" so I stopped doing it. Unless I get bored:rolleyes:

I have been doing this with Kevin Cram's tool and the bullets sure do look better. This next box of bullets I am going to leave them alone and see if I notice much difference now that I have finalized my load development. I will try both trimmed and untrimmed and see how it goes.

I am not sure for most hunting conditions it is worth the time as I don't think it is an enormous difference. However, it is kind of like whittling and isn't a bad way to spend an hour or two on the patio on a nice day. And as I said the bullets sure look nice and uniform. gun)

I think it does have its place in the shooting world. If you were into F class or F/TR or into benchrest competitions then yes it is probably worth it. For a hunting bullet it might help but is it necessary? Again it is debatable there will be guys that say you should and those who say not too. For me there are other things I would rather do with my time.

As stated above, it sure does make them look good:D I'm doing some "preliminary" testing with my 338RUM & 300SMK. Keep in mind, you are not removing the meplat, just uniforming them. If you're ever notice the jagged, snaggle-toothed look of most hollow point bullets, there is room for improvement! How far past cosmetic it benefits, I am unsure to this point. There is also a good possibility of better terminal performance on game having the mepalt somewhat enlarged... should initiate more expansion...lightbulb

Of course, there is the reported reduction in BC, which stinks (report is ~2%).

Like I said, I have a handful done & paired with my most concentric cases, bullets etc. I plan to shoot a couple of 500 or 600yd groups (Farther maybe?) & compare those groups to a couple of groups with my "normal" loads:D

That would make a good write-up/report wouldn't it?

It would make a good report. Just for the record.........My 338 edge and 300 smk meplat uniforming experience resulted in 1.25" groups @ 420 yards which happened to be on par with the ununiformed loads. They are prettier though. Expansion? We don't need no stinking expansion. Just kidding......I shot my buck this year with an ununiformed 300smk @345 yards and my bull with a uniformed 300smk@489 yards and am 100% certain they could not tell the difference. If you want to really test the theory, I would focus on extreme range. I think it will make a more noticeable difference wayyyyyy out there.

It would make a good report. Just for the record.........My 338 edge and 300 smk meplat uniforming experience resulted in 1.25" groups @ 420 yards which happened to be on par with the ununiformed loads. They are prettier though. Expansion? We don't need no stinking expansion. Just kidding......I shot my buck this year with an ununiformed 300smk @345 yards and my bull with a uniformed 300smk@489 yards and am 100% certain they could not tell the difference. If you want to really test the theory, I would focus on extreme range. I think it will make a more noticeable difference wayyyyyy out there.

That's a great point, to see any difference the testing will have to be done much farther than what I was thinkin.....it's early & i've only had a half gallon of coffee....:D Measurement of the increase in teminal ballistics might prove far more difficult than debunking the accuracy increase... you shot a little buck with an Edge? @345yds??!!gun)--------------------------------:D JJk...

Any bulls/cows taken with an un-uniformed SMK?? If so, any noticable difference in Terminal performance?

Yes I did shoot a little 200lb 3x4 buck with a 338 edge. I was working my way to my 1200 yard ambush position and he was in my way. Lungs=dead dear no meat damage............Same with the bull using uniformed smk........both had 3" exits and dropped on the spot of course with out even a kick or twitch. First year with my edge so that is all I have so far other than 900 yard coyotes.......If you feel the need to shoot coyotes with your rum do NOT bother to walk out to them after, for they are not worth skinning at that point, poor little buggers. 300 SMK is not fur friendly, Who would of guessed.

Yes I did shoot a little 200lb 3x4 buck with a 338 edge. I was working my way to my 1200 yard ambush position and he was in my way. Lungs=dead dear no meat damage............Same with the bull using uniformed smk........both had 3" exits and dropped on the spot of course with out even a kick or twitch. First year with my edge so that is all I have so far other than 900 yard coyotes.......If you feel the need to shoot coyotes with your rum do NOT bother to walk out to them after, for they are not worth skinning at that point, poor little buggers. 300 SMK is not fur friendly, Who would of guessed.

Lol, just poking fun at you. I can only imagine what a 300grn bullet (out of a rifle) will do to a poor little coyote:D I may have to pull out the RUM for my next outting lol.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.