Anyone ever use a Meplat Trimmer?

Sorry for asking the question and then going MIA but I thought I was over this flu but I guess I'm not.
Anyway here is a youtube video on the MCR Meplat trimmer

Man this is a rabbit hole indeed but at least it keeps up out of trouble I guess.
Much interest in the Hoover system.
With all you need about what is the cost of 1 caliber and will I see the difference at 700 yards?

Last edited:
Sorry for asking the question and then going MIA but I thought I was over this flu but I guess I'm not.
Anyway here is a youtube video on the MCR Meplat trimmer

Man this is a rabbit hole indeed but at least it keeps up out of trouble I guess.
Much interest in the Hoover system.
With all you need about what is the cost of 1 caliber and will I see the difference at 500 yards?

I cannot believe it has been 13+ years since Kevin introduced his MCR meplat trimmer. Hoover system can also be used for bullet sorting.

Literally just got mine today and started using it. Super simple and effective. I like it so far! I watched a YouTube video by "F class John" for a simple starter video.

View attachment 423577
Before
View attachment 423578
After
View attachment 423579
Now F-Class John has a prototype Hoover Meplat trimmer made to use in conjunction with the Lyman power case trimmer. Others and I noticed that there was something different by the nose of the bullet, someone asked straight up, "hows the ringing working out" lol, he must be playing around with Tubbs nose ringing tool.

Last edited:
I use the Giraud kit to go into the trimmer, and point them with Whidden unit for mid to long range matches

Meplated M118 LRs for hunting.
20211205_080145.jpg

So as a hunter/shooter that practices out to 700 yards will I see a difference in Meplat Trimming/conditioning?
In my opinion I would think so. I know there are a bunch of threads here and elsewhere that talk about using a certain size drill bit to clean the tips out of a Berger bullet and make the tips of Berger's a little more open, the meplat tool would accomplish both and then make the tips more consistent to each other, and in precision reloading, consistency wins.

Now F-Class John has a prototype Hoover Meplat trimmer made to use in conjunction with the Lyman power case trimmer. Others and I noticed that there was something different by the nose of the bullet, someone asked straight up, "hows the ringing working out" lol, he must be playing around with Tubbs nose ringing tool.

Thanks for both posts IHFarmer07.That answered the most important question I had.
The video is of what IHFarmer07 mentioned about the adapter for the Lyman trimmer.
I'm impressed

I looked at the video on the Tubbs Nose Ringing Tool and it looked way too complicated for me.

Recent Posts