Anyone ever use a Meplat Trimmer?

I dont have experience with the Hoover trimmer. However, I have used these in various calibers extensively:

I've used a Montour Country Rifles version.
The problem with meplat trimming ONLY is that it only causes same nose length, with a cost of meplat diameter variance to do that.
This, producing just opposite of claimed 'consistent BC'..
Keep in mind that meplat diameter is way bigger to BC than nose length.

It's best to trim only to prep (as needed) for or after pointing.
Hoover system looks the best to me. Their different pieces allow adjustment for least pointing transition.
I've used a Whidden pointer and it is a failure in my view, because it's datum is bullet OAL, instead of ogive length(like Hoover sys).

Literally just got mine today and started using it. Super simple and effective. I like it so far! I watched a YouTube video by "F class John" for a simple starter video.

1233F7D4-DABB-4F10-BE4E-82D124D39A9B.jpeg

Before
AEF7CD33-F022-4EBA-8AE5-F2AD3D689FB4.jpeg

After
4157A8BE-39D8-4678-9902-9847B93CC600.jpeg

Does it change the weight of the bullet and then have to sort lots?
I see from the picture that the bullets are more uniform now in length, but also have different diameter at the meplat, which would change the BC
I never seen the Meplat that distorted on our bullets, but not to say that I microscope every bullet.
Should this be done only if you want to "Point" your bullets?
How much of a difference with not doing this on bullets for shooting ELR?
Sorry for the lack of knowledge but, "A" question is why ""Point" a bullet? Is it for hunting so the bullet will have better expansion???
We can always learn more from other knowledgeable shooters. I am far from a wiz on bullets and always learning.
All the bullets we have for hunting usually work and the same for Target. Also some Target bullets work well for hunting.
Would like to know more about this from qualified shooters that are using this system.
Thanks much
Len & Jill

I see from the picture that the bullets are more uniform now in length, but also have different diameter at the meplat, which would change the BC
I never seen the Meplat that distorted on our bullets, but not to say that I microscope every bullet.
Sorry for the lack of knowledge but, "A" question is why ""Point" a bullet? Is it for hunting so the bullet will have better expansion???
We can always learn more from other knowledgeable shooters. I am far from a wiz on bullets and always learning.
All the bullets we have for hunting usually work and the same for Target. Also some Target bullets work well for hunting.
Would like to know more about this from qualified shooters that are using this system.
Thanks much
Len & Jill
However much it shaved off I could not weigh to the nearest .0 gr. I weighed all 5 bullets at exactly 230.0gr. after trimming them. It's does lower the BC, by a stated 2%. I haven't checked exactly how much yet. But it should also uniform the BC better compared to the inconsistent tips in the first picture. Basically the berger tips drove me nuts and I wanted to uniform them. I drill them out after trimming, and won't point them. So basically I just have a slightly more consistent bullet, and I'll true up the BC at 1000 yards. Other than that, it doesn't do much except help tame my OCD

However much it shaved off I could not weigh to the nearest .0 gr. I weighed all 5 bullets at exactly 230.0gr. after trimming them. It's does lower the BC, by a stated 2%. I haven't checked exactly how much yet. But it should also uniform the BC better compared to the inconsistent tips in the first picture. Basically the berger tips drove me nuts and I wanted to uniform them. I drill them out after trimming, and won't point them. So basically I just have a slightly more consistent bullet, and I'll true up the BC at 1000 yards. Other than that, it doesn't do much except help tame my OCD
Thanks much and Happy New Year!

I would like to talk to a shooter that actually uses trimming the Meplat on bullets and this person is a BR, "F" Class, ELR shooter.
Looks like something that would throw a wrench into my reloading system. If there was a gain in accuracy i would do it, but need to talk to a Bonified Metplat Trimmer.
Please PM me so I can exchange phone #s to talk.
Happy New Year, God Bless
Len & Jill

Thanks much
Len & Jill

During my years of 1,000yd BR and LR/ELR shooting, differing meplats (different BC's) would show more vertical stringing and the occasional flyer, usually an impact lower in the nominal group. This experience and understanding was widespread among precision and competition shooters and especially with some of the older bullets and the QA of the times. Even today, some of my higher quality brand of VLD target bullets have slightly varying meplats, as the pics posted above reveal.

For most, these minor variances will have no impact on their ranges, groups and the larger game they hunt, but when very consistent, tiny groups are required and/or desired, it can reduce those unexpected flyers/misses. If it did not improve the consistency of our groups, we would have never used the process all these decades.

Last edited: