Meplat trimming pf Nosler 180 Grn Partitions

Well, I don't insist. Just a curious thought. I can assume, then, that you haven't tried it, despite passing hasty judgement.
Exactly the type of thing that is the tarnish on an otherwise shining forum.
No, because I do not see the need or the point to doing it to non-open-tipped bullets, as shown in the videos, or know what you mean about "running it in reverse, opposite the cutting surfaces." It was not a hasty judgment, but you seem adamant about doing so and have a better grasp than I do. I would be more than happy to learn if you showed me the feasibility.

These are the comments that remind me why it has been a few years since i have posted on this website. And i will stay quiet for a while because of this thread.

There is never a need to snipe at experienced members.

Opinions and experience from members who have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds usually come with humility and explanations. And they are just opinions and a point of view what we have experienced and a starting point for all of us to continue to learn from.

Feenix, you strike me as an experienced and polite gentleman. Thank you,

Gotta start loading 240 rounds for the next match.

These are the comments that remind me why it has been a few years since i have posted on this website. And i will stay quiet for a while because of this thread.

Opinions and experience from members who have shot hundreds of thousands of rounds usually come with humility and explanations. And they are just opinions and a point of view what we have experienced and a starting point for all of us to continue to learn from.

I, too, bow to his experience. Perhaps my QUESTION which shows no experience in my trying it, would have better been called 'burnishing' the OP lead tips straight. (ever run a drill bit in the wrong direction?) An equally simple question was returned to me, and I explained further.
The first 'snipe,' as you call it came from Feenix at me.
Forgive me for responding to that. Shouldn't have.
However, I do have enough experience in reading this forum to know that it was not out of the normal to do so.
My apologies.

Lenny this is where you may typically see a meplat trimmer used. Bullet on the left is an untouched and pointed Berger Long Range Hybrid Target bullet (LRHT). Since I can't find the bullets I want I trimmed it just a bit and opened the tip with a .040" drill bit to ensure the bullet would expand reliably. The trimmed/drilled bullet is on the right.

F2A1B330-A383-4378-979B-B61FC9892A01.jpeg

Last edited:
Mine is another vote to shoot them as-is. My .300 Wby is the Remington 700 Classic for 1989. I use the 200 gr. Partitions and for me they have repeatedly shot MOA out to 400 yards. I haven't tried them any further than that.

Joe,

It is always nice to see old-timers/original members like you. Please do not let posts like this shy you away. You know you have plenty of real-world experience and knowledge to share, which benefits us all. But I do understand. Do not have too much fun in your retirement. I appreciate you.

Ed
I, too, bow to his experience. Perhaps my QUESTION which shows no experience in my trying it, would have better been called 'burnishing' the OP lead tips straight. (ever run a drill bit in the wrong direction?) An equally simple question was returned to me, and I explained further.
The first 'snipe,' as you call it came from Feenix at me.
Forgive me for responding to that. Shouldn't have.
However, I do have enough experience in reading this forum to know that it was not out of the normal to do so.
My apologies.
You simply misconstrued my response and perceived it as a snipe remark. You might not like my candor, but I was trying to support what you want to do regardless of my personal opinion, experience, or stance.

I just wish this forum was far more positive, supportive, and helpful for all new and young members to share experience and knowledge. If we fight among each other, we give "antis" a reason to ban our sport and passion.

Been hunting since 1971 and reloading since 1973. In retirement, just race motorcycles, shoot F class, and love my wife

Every time i post, it turns into a ****ing match from persons who are angry and want to argue??? Hmm. Why ?

Lets not let this forum turn into that and respect and think about opinions.

See you all in a couple years when manners and civility returns.

Len, can you send a message to all members that this is the most civilized place in our chosen space to discuss things like gentlemen>

I can't remember if there was proof of it, but supposedly, the lead noses are worn down by friction with the air after they were fired and ballistic coefficients were made worse because of it. The problem is compounded as velocity is increased. If that is true, minor imperfections are probably ironed out or worn off soon after the bullet is fired. Also the synthetic tips were developed to combat this and tip damage caused by recoil battering in magazines. I read an article in a magazine years ago where they mutilated bullet tips in various ways before firing. Their experiments proved the they had little or no effect on bullet performance. They also proved that imperfections on the base of the bullets did influence bullet performance. I would hunt with these bullets as long as they grouped well while sighting in.

I guess we should ask why you want to trim off the lead tip. They are designed to work that way. What's you intended range to use them?
Not sure it'd be for the same reason but the most accurate round for my 243 (Rem 788) is a basic flattened soft tip speer smoothed/flat to the jacket lip (the first hundred I picked up were like that though I've no idea why). Reloading several hundred more over the years with the same bullet which shows a small exposed lead point I found them flying everywhere initially (~1.5"+ @100y)... A quick run of a file and then pressing them flat/smooth on the counter and it was night and day difference (consistently well under an inch). I use partitions in my Swede now and have never had an issue with them (though I'd admit I did try them flattened a little out of curiousity but didn't notice any difference whatsoever). However, my daughter's bolt action Grendel absolutely adores the 120gr Speer Gold Dots more than any other bullet I've tried and they highly resemble the above 6mm example with the tips flattened (maybe a tiny bit of round) to the lip of the jacket on every one I've ever seen.

On a related note, I do have a 22LR profiler and I have found that a slight flat indention on the tips of bulk plinking ammo tightens up the group by a noticeable and repeatable amount as well though in that case I honestly think it has more to do with uniforming the lead projectile's diameter.

That gray substance you say looks like graphite is most likely moly (molybdenum) which was applied by someone, not Nosler.

The strange bulging tips are the result of tumbling the bullets too long when moly coating. I KNOW because did the same thing long ago.

Due to the friction reduction the load you work up for the moly coated partitions may have to be tweaked when you shoot uncoated ones.

That gray substance you say looks like graphite is most likely moly (molybdenum) which was applied by someone, not Nosler.

The strange bulging tips are the result of tumbling the bullets too long when moly coating. I KNOW because did the same thing long ago.

Due to the friction reduction the load you work up for the moly coated partitions may have to be tweaked when you shoot uncoated ones.
I was wondering the same thing as noted in #12.

Hi Guys, I found out something about these ugly looking bullets. Now Shooters Pro Shop has them for sale BUT they are not just Blem's but they are a LOWER level of Blems they are a Grade C . Blems!! I have also learned about a Pointing tool , which I may purchase just to see if I can make a point at the bullet tip , as opposed to this round blob on the tip. I also see FENIX sent me a video about the use of a pointing die.. So the summary for me is NEVER purchase Grade C Blems in any caliber again, and Keep checking the Nosler Sight each day for Factory perfect bullets to become available. Thank you all for all you incredible insight and help!!