Bergers for hunting ?

pvanwyk

Anyone out there have experience using Berger bullets for hunting ? In particular the 210gr .30 for my 300rum. Plan on shooting some animals in the 250 to 400 pound weight class.

They are built on a pretty thin jacket so you may not get alot of weight retention on closer shots.

steve

I shot 2 coyotes with the 210g VLD out of my 300 RUM going 3000fps. 120 yards, and 275 yards. Both exits were size of pie plate. That would indicate rapid expansion. Shot them into wet newspaper at 100 and 200 yards and was getting 25-40% weight retention. They were penetrating every bit as far as a "hunting" bullet though. The SD is pretty high for 210g so that probly helps out a lot. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on game up to 400lbs.

Check out bestofthewest.net These guys are taking out elk with one shot kills at 800+. Their movie Beyond Belief will make you want to get up and go practice. They also have a new instructional video and they compare penetration with I think a Barnes and the Berger does awesome.

I would guess they are as good or better than SMKs - which many folks (including me) have used successfully. I had a 135gr SMK explode in a 3 pt bucks chest last year (out of my 270 WSM at 25 yards). His lungs were jelly - no other damage or exit wound. I'll be testing the Bergers in my 300 RUMS soon.

BeyondBelief

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.