Thoughts....338 Win Mag w/ 300 gr Bergers?

I tried 250 vlds in my 338wm. I only got about 2600 for my accuracy load. Wasn't pleased with the performance on deer. I'm now loading the 230eldx at about 2870 and it's giving outstanding accuracy. The bonus is the wind holds are like my 6.5x47 match gun. Haven't taken anything with that load. But I hope it works like the 200sst, which worked great for terminal performance. The 200 was only mediocre for accuracy hence the switch.

....Almost a 5 YO thread, just saying. :D Enjoy ...

Seems to have caught a bit of interest though. Lots still trying to get their .338 Winchesters a little more range.

Choices are moving to more case capacity, install a longer magazine, or single loading (which many do with the bigger .338's also).

We have 2 that aren't going anywhere either, so checking out if changes in powder, and bullets over the last 5 years has put any more wind in the sails is interesting.

A quick check revealed elves didn't show up to put .338's in my Berger manual:confused:. A disappointment that still agitates me.:mad:

Either the 213 Hammer or 250 Berger retain enough terminal velocity to reliably expand on game past my self imposed limits. I suspect this is more true than not for others.

On inanimate targets, side by side with the bigger .338's, past about 500 yards, some differences consistently appear, with the smaller magnums, the hits seem to progressively get harder to come by, for us anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.