.338 win mag or 300 win mag

I have both. Inside of 400 yards, it won't make any difference to what you're hunting.
It becomes a question of preference, recoil and style.

Performance wise they can be made equivalent with different strengths and weaknesses if you have the correct twist and bullet.

Make your choice based on what makes you feel more confident and fits your style better.

I have hunted with the 338 win mag 34 years and it's awesome .I shot tons of deer wild hogs black bears and coyotes with it .I like a 24 inch medium heavy barrel like on ruger 77 has on their 338s .The tang safety ruger are my favorite but the stainless ruger are awesome .I used mine in Alaska also and also bought 338-378 weatherbys for there .The 338 win mag is the best all around rifle for all North American big game .I had a 300 win mag and to me it was not that much better than a 3006 .The 338 win mag has way more knock down power than the 300 win mag .My best friend shot 7 moose with my 338 win mag and all of them died in their tracks he was very impressed with it !

my 338 wm loves the 230 eld-x over imr 4350.
but i haven't taken any big game with it yet.
yes...230 ELD but RL-19= 1MOA and less for me.....love the .338 WM...450 yds is about max for where I Elk hunt but 600 is possibile with this combo

Well I finally got the call that my Ruger Guide gun had arrived. I decided to go with the .338 Win Mag.
Now I am looking for a scope to put on. I was discouraged a bit when I was looking for scopes and some vendors were telling me that with a 20' barrel I wont be shooting more than a 200 to maybe 300 yds with accuracy. I bought the gun to be an all round rifle for the game I shoot from deer up (Moose Elk and Black Bear). I know its a big heavy for whitetail deer but covers anything else around here heavier...My question is this:
1. How far do you think I can shoot game accurately with this gun?
2. What scope do you recommend? (shots anywhere from 50 - 400 yds max)
3. Can anyone tell me what ammo this gun likes for accuracy? (I know most of my Brownings like Winchester, so curious about this gun).
4. Has anyone shot Whitetail with this gun? I heard Barnes 168 gr TSX or LRX are good rounds with minimal damage...??
I cant wait to get a scope on it and try it out! Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Should do fine at 400 so be sure and go shoot 400 ...often. I would use one bullet 225 gr so not to confuse things at 400. Leupold 2.5x8 is one of their best...sharp, bright,and available all over with lifetime guarantee no matter who owns it....or 3x9. 2.5x8 is brighter in dark woods. Sure you can play with bullet weights but using one only will help you at the longer ranges but may not be a significant difference. You just have to experiment..have fun

Thank you whirlwindjml. Sound advice. When you say SFWA 6X are you referring to a Nightforce scope? I do not know what that means...Thanks for your help.
SWFA is it's own brand (usually made by another company I believe) so not NF......

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.