.338 win mag or 300 win mag

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by jvspopeye, Mar 20, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. jd300rum

jd300rum Active Member

2. jvspopeye

jvspopeye Member

Well I do not disagree with you since I too have ---- many moose with my 300wsm, my 30-06 and even took a small 3 year old bull with a .243. However I am looking to hed north in the near future and grizzly will be in the area and will feel better with a bigger gun. Having already a 300wsm it makes sense to go to .338 and besides I like my toys. Always wanted a Ruger Guide gun.

3. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

i like the 225 Accubond in my 338wm, it just kills everything in it's path, big or small. if recoil is an issue, a brake really helps with that. it's true, the smaller calibers do kill big game, but when shooting farther out, a marginal hit goes in favor to the larger calibers.

jvspopeye likes this.
  4. Rhino Hunter

Rhino Hunter Well-Known Member

Popeye,

I was using "Horn-Daddys" Dangerous Game Series 375 Ruger 270 gr SP-RP Superformance. It performed well on the deer I took.

Since the cartridge was designed in conjunction between Ruger and Hornady I don't think there's a lot of over the counter options for it.

Actually one of my hunting buddies on our Alaskan trip bought the exact same gun, left handed, and used the same ammo. He is equally impressed with the gun.

Again, good luck with your new Ruger Guide Gun.

jvspopeye likes this.
  5. whirlwindjml

whirlwindjml Well-Known Member

I switch as well to 6.5 and havnt had any issues either. I stll have my big ones and there is a time and place for them (alaska ect)... But im no longer convinced how necessary they are. If i hunt griz areas ill dig out the artillery.

jvspopeye and Hespco like this.
  6. del2les

del2les Well-Known Member

Yea, tearing through the brush or rounding a river bend to come face-to-face with a large griz is no time to be armed with a 6.5CM. Heck, even the 338WM felt a little small.

jvspopeye and whirlwindjml like this.
  7. ruby76

ruby76 Well-Known Member

I’m a moose hunter and have always had great results with Barnes. 140/145 in my 280AI, and now with my 338 Sherman short I have some 225 ttsx to try out

jvspopeye likes this.
  8. jjmp

jjmp Well-Known Member

Congrats on your New 338 w/magnum ,a couple of sleeper bullets noslers 210Partition ,any Barnes tsx or ttsx 225 will penetrate great ,also don't forgets Sierras 250 boatail bullet . Cheers lv my 338 w/mag !!!

jvspopeye likes this.