300 win mag vs 338 win mag

Mr.Moa

looking into a new caliber for long range shooting. might be used on deer, elk, or possibly bear. The main cartridges im looking at are a 300 win mag or 338 win mag. which of these would you perfer. Other thoughts i've had are 300 weatherby and 300 ultra. If you need me to get more specific on something just ask.

No personel experience with the 300 but my hunting partner uses a Browning A bolt in 338 win mag on all the above mentioned critters as well as moose and loves it. I have used it once to take a black bear with that just happened to walk out while we were getting firewood for camp and it dropped it right where it stood. Not to sure about the range capabilties of it as almost all our hunting shots have been under 300 yrds.

If cost of shooting is a concern 300's win. I'm from way back when the 06 did okay 300 H&H or 300 W were big dogs and the 300 win mag was okay The ultras came out and I had to have the 30-378 later on The 300 UM is a better choice.

When I was ready for a second rebarreld I considered the 338-378 because I has a couple hundred cases. I decided to sell the W after the second barrel and went with a 338 Lapua.

I do not mind packing big 28 -29 inch guns I never liked the 300 win or the 338 win The case is not big enough to use the slowest powders and big 210,220, 240 in the 30 cal and the 275 or 300 grain in the 338 where they both really shine in the long barrels

Dead is dead, but the 338 lapua is just a fun round :)

The question would be what do you consider long range. If your shots are inside 800 yards you can look at some cartridges easy to shoot without a brake. Beyond that the big guns with brakes take over. For hunting inside 800 yards I shoot a little tikka light 338 winchester that is a pleasure to shoot and hunt with at 6 3/8 pounds. It is fairly easy to hit and kill stuff with it to 700-800 yards.

If you shoot further than that I would do the 300 RUM of the ones you listed.

Budlight, I agree the 338 Lapua is fun to shoot but the 338-378 wby is more fun by 200 fps and is a better choice if you have 200 brass. I have several of both and my family hunts with all of them but when I am serious I go with the big horsepower of the 338-378. I just like to play all odds and see no reason to leave 200 fps lying around not being used.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.