7mm 300 win mag, thoughts...

Yep. The only time that .308 is going to the smith is when I take it to get the muzzle threaded, and that's it.
I have a Rem 700 in 308, 5r barrel that shot fantastic without a brake. I installed a brake later and it still shot as well maybe better. When I now remove it and shoot it, it doesn't shoot nearly as well as it did before threading it for the brake. Odd but it is what it is. I just keep the brake on it.

I have a Rem 700 in 308, 5r barrel that shot fantastic without a brake. I installed a brake later and it still shot as well maybe better. When I now remove it and shoot it, it doesn't shoot nearly as well as it did before threading it for the brake. Odd but it is what it is. I just keep the brake on it.
Oh, it's not going to get threaded for a brake... It's going to get threaded for when they pass the Hearing Protection Act, and I can go buy a suppressor over the counter and take it home that day without having to pay that $200 tax and wait a year to get approved for things I already know I'm approved for. :D

Oh, it's not going to get threaded for a brake... It's going to get threaded for when they pass the Hearing Protection Act, and I can go buy a suppressor over the counter and take it home that day without having to pay that $200 tax and wait a year to get approved for things I already know I'm approved for. :D
I agree. Been waiting on the same thing. It's not only a possiblity now, it's a reality. Building a 338 Lapua improved and it will wear one once complete.

I agree. Been waiting on the same thing. It's not only a possiblity now, it's a reality. Building a 338 Lapua improved and it will wear one once complete.
You should check out the Thunderbeast .338 can. They've tested it on smaller cartridges all the way down to .300 Blackout, and it's SUPER quiet on the smaller cartridges. So you might could even get away with just buying that one big bore can for your bolt-actions.

I am kicking around the idea of building a rifle chambered in 7mm 300 win mag for my hunting rifle. Considering the 195gr bergers as the projectile. I couldn't find any discussion of this round on here. I was just wondering what you guys know or think about it.

I say go for it! My gunsmith built one for a friend last year for exactly as your intended purpose and he is very pleased with it. IIRC, his was a 28" and 1:8".

Last edited:
You should check out the Thunderbeast .338 can. They've tested it on smaller cartridges all the way down to .300 Blackout, and it's SUPER quiet on the smaller cartridges. So you might could even get away with just buying that one big bore can for your bolt-actions.
Yep that's my plan. There's a couple I'm researching and the Beast is one. I have several 6.5, 7s, and 30 Cal's I would use it on as well. Even a couple 6s and 22s also. Think I'll buy 2 and use one for the 6.5s and up and the other for the 22 thru 243s. Really looking forward to that 200.00 being removed from the overall price. Obviously it's not so much the cost but the idea that there "F_ _ _ _ _ _ "us over on charging that fee.

Yep that's my plan. There's a couple I'm researching and the Beast is one. I have several 6.5, 7s, and 30 Cal's I would use it on as well. Even a couple 6s and 22s also. Think I'll buy 2 and use one for the 6.5s and up and the other for the 22 thru 243s. Really looking forward to that 200.00 being removed from the overall price. Obviously it's not so much the cost but the idea that there "F_ _ _ _ _ _ "us over on charging that fee.
I'd go for one 6.5 and down, and 7mm and up. Just personally. Especially since Thunderbeast makes 6.5mm sized Ultra 7 and Ultra 9 cans. You could use it on 6.5 and down. And use the .338 can on 7mm and up.

The $200 tax is bullcrap itself... But the 1 year wait time is the most bullcrap of it all. A suppressor is not even a weapon or a firearm. It's completely incapable of harming someone, unless you whack someone over the head with it. It's just a highly-machined chunk of metal. No different than a muzzle brake.

I personally don't even feel they should be legally regulated at ALL! So, i'm a much bigger fan of them passing the SHUSH Act...Which calls for a complete deregulation, and they would be treated the same as any other accessory that you can order straight to your door without paperwork.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/senate-bill/1505/text

Last edited:
I am kicking around the idea of building a rifle chambered in 7mm 300 win mag for my hunting rifle. Considering the 195gr bergers as the projectile. I couldn't find any discussion of this round on here. I was just wondering what you guys know or think about it.
Been hunting with one for the last 4-5 years.
Taken game out to 800+ with the 180 Bergers.
Great caliber, easy to find brass. Neck down 300 WM brass, load and shoot.
Took a mule deer at 820 yards with virgin piece of brass and the 180 Berger at 3100 FPS, 26" barrel.

Been hunting with one for the last 4-5 years.
Taken game out to 800+ with the 180 Bergers.
Great caliber, easy to find brass. Neck down 300 WM brass, load and shoot.
Took a mule deer at 820 yards with virgin piece of brass and the 180 Berger at 3100 FPS, 26" barrel.
That is what I am talking about, I think that would be as far as I want to shoot game. Thanks for the input. I am going with a 26" also. My brother is way more into long range than I am, he is going to build one also. He has his heart set on using the 195gr bergers. So we will see how that goes.

That is what I am talking about, I think that would be as far as I want to shoot game. Thanks for the input. I am going with a 26" also. My brother is way more into long range than I am, he is going to build one also. He has his heart set on using the 195gr bergers. So we will see how that goes.

There you go ... stay on course and go for it!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.