300 Lapua vs 7mm-300 Win Mag

dawg4life

What are the pros and cons when looking at 300 Lapua (338 Lapua necked down to 30 caliber. And 7mm-300WM "7mm practical" (300WM necked down to 7mm)
Trying to decide on a caliber for a new build.
A few things to consider
- I will want to shoot this caliber suppressed. I have a suppressor that is rated for 300 win mag. Would the 300 Lapua be too much pressure for my suppressor? (waiting for uncle Sam before I can take it home but it will be soon).
- This rifle will be used out to a mile or so target shooting and probably some long range hunting at various distances.
- I have a 338 Lapua but I want something I can use with my suppressor instead of buying another suppressor and waiting on paperwork again.
- I reload all my ammo so that is no issue.

Another question. Are long actions all the same? Does say a 30-06 and a 338 Lapua and a 300 wim mag use the same action? I know bolt faces are different and things like that but are the actions themselves the same? Thanks for all the help in advance!

Cant say for sure but the lapua is enough bigger I wouldn't bet on it working very well... what about a 30 nosler?

I have an improved 300Lapua it's a monster. Sends 200 grainers at 3380 26" barrel. For the suppresor and 300Lapua I'm not sure, the gas volume and pressure may be too much for a 300win mag rated suppresor.

That's what I was afraid of. Is there any measurable pressures or stats that I could look up to know if I would be putting too much strain on my supressor?

Could I build a 330 Lapua off of a regular savge long action or would I have to have a special action rated for the pressure of the lapua case?

That's what I was afraid of. Is there any measurable pressures or stats that I could look up to know if I would be putting too much strain on my supressor?

Could I build a 300 Lapua off of a regular savge long action or would I have to have a special action rated for the pressure of the lapua case?

Could I build a 300 Lapua off of a regular savage long action or would I have to have a special action rated for the pressure of the lapua case?

Could I build a 300 Lapua off of a regular savge long action or would I have to have a special action rated for the pressure of the lapua case?
Contact the manufacturer. Unless it's rated for the .338L and larger cases I absolutely would not try it.

When suppressors blow up they frequently really "BLOW".

Before building anything using the RUM case or larger you really should find someone that has one they'd be willing to let you shoot.

It's definitely a big step up recoil wise compared to the standard magnum calibers.

The expense involved in shooting the big guys will also take a big bite out of the budget compared to the standard magnums.

In reality there's nothing you could even want to hunt in North America that the 300wm or 7mm Rem Mag will not do the job on with a quality bullet down the tube and good shot placement.

I shoot the 7mm STW which is my all time favorite caliber but I'm very partial to my 300wm's and 300 Rum's as well.

I've also become a real fan of the 375Ruger. I got a good deal on one when I was planning my trip to Africa and have literally had a blast with it since the first day at the range.

My next build is going to be another 375R with a 28" barrel so I can really stretch it out and see what the upper limits for the caliber are.

If I were starting over today though I'd start with either the 300wm, or 30 Nosler in .30 cal and 28 Nosler for a hot 7mm.

Wildcats are fun to tinker with if you have the time and money to invest in them but I won't own anything I can't buy factory ammo to shoot. I have seen far too many guys over the years get separated from their ammo on a "Trip of a Lifetime" and if they couldn't replace it over the counter it can really ruin a trip.

If you want the best of both worlds give the 7mm STW a long, hard look. Even though it's still somewhat of an odd ball wildcatter's round you can get factory ammo loaded for it.

The 7mm STW has such a following we even have our own sub forum dedicated to it here and you will find more devotees of the caliber here at LRH than probably any other forum on the net.

I'm wanting something on the "hot" side of 30 caliber or 7mm. I like shooting long range 1000 and beyond. I have access to out to almost 3000 yards so I like to test limits of different things. I have a 30 cal suppressor on the way and I want somthing where I can use it.

I have about 200FPS on the RUM same length barrel and bullet granted I have the improved version. I don't see enough gain over the RUM with a straight 300LM to make going the wildcat route worth while.

If your suppressor is only rated to 300 WM it seems you're kind of stuck. I noted the TBAC ultras are rated to 300 RUM so I think I'll go that route.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.