7mm mag vs 300 mag vs 300 ultra

Edge is a RUM necked up so the powder burning should be about the same. the bullets are more expensive so you are right about that. I shot a 7RM and 180vld's for a year or so. 68g of retumbo consistently gave me 2950ish fps. I think that the barrel was stress a fair bit with that heavy load. By stressed I mean my lands wore away faster than I would have liked. I don't know how much you believe in the "overbore debate" but I would think a 300wm would give you better barrel life and everybit the killing power that the 7rm would.

Were you going to shoot moose with a berger?

I was told that once before about getting better barrel life out of the 300. win mag vs 7mm rem mag so that was one deciding factors. The other was the fact of the larger bullet hitting the moose/elk/black bear.

And yeah, i was hoping to use the berger on moose? why?

Just curious. I Dont know anything about moose and was wondering when does game get too big for a Berger? Brown bear? Elk? Moose? Eland?

see i dont know many people on here that actually hunt moose regularly or even a few times but most people on here have or do hunt elk. To me, elk are just as tough if not tougher then a moose in one way. The moose is bigger but he generally stands there or only runs 50 yards after the first shot and gives you an opportunity for a second if you feel needed other wise he gives you a chance to watch him go do and be ready for that second shot where an elk normally takes off running for the hills.

most people on here have used, do use or feel comfortable taking Elk and Black bear with a berger outside of 300 yards so therefore i am more then confident in loading 210 bergers on moose for longer shots. Inside that 300 yards and thats when i would look for another option. I know some people load both bergers and another stronger bullet that fly similar within 300-400 yards and use the stronger bullet (Barnes, Nosler) when shots like that occur but when they pop there head out a little further, the through a berger in and let that take care of him.

I hung up 7 RM 20 yrs. ago and started using a 340WM.THE 7MM doesnt begin to have the energy of the 338's , more so when a larger grn. 338 is used. I have seen moose lost shot with a 7mm, hard to find blood trail in the swamp, same guy lost 2 and the other one rolled down the clear cut about 60 yrds.Go with your larger choice

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.