7mm 300 win mag, thoughts...

I tried to sell it, as I wanted to downsize the arsenal a bit, but ended up going sideways. Had a guy wanting to trade a NIB s/s LA as partial trade fodder, but ended up selling him the barrel, dies, brass, etc. for use on his action.

Since I couldn't stand having a gun around w/o a barrel, I ordered a reamer to make it into a 6.5 PRC. Due any day now.......

It's there in reply #22 showing the .780" group, 200 yard target.

81 grains of R-33 with moly plated 195's about .020" in the lands at 3009 fps.

I tried to sell it, as I wanted to downsize the arsenal a bit, but ended up going sideways. Had a guy wanting to trade a NIB s/s LA as partial trade fodder, but ended up selling him the barrel, dies, brass, etc. for use on his action.

Since I couldn't stand having a gun around w/o a barrel, I ordered a reamer to make it into a 6.5 PRC. Due any day now.......
That 6.5 prc is interesting. If... or when I get my 7mm-300 win to shoot a group like yours at 1000yards. I don't think I could ever sell it. Smart selling the barrel and gear. Gives you a reason to start something new on that action. I ordered a blueprinted action from PTG to start my build. It is eight weeks out or so. Once I get it and start putting things together I will post on here. I am sure I will need more advice. Thank you for the knowledge you share.

It's there in reply #22 showing the .780" group, 200 yard target.

81 grains of R-33 with moly plated 195's about .020" in the lands at 3009 fps.

Primer? Assuming Nosler case, correct?

Primer? Assuming Nosler case, correct?
Yes, Nosler brass and Fed 215's.

Oddly, even with the Nosler brass being lighter than the Hornady, I started with the safe load from the Hornady brass and got immediate heavy bolt lift and a big tattoo on the case head.

Yes, Nosler brass and Fed 215's.

Oddly, even with the Nosler brass being lighter than the Hornady, I started with the safe load from the Hornady brass and got immediate heavy bolt lift and a big tattoo on the case head.

Al,

A friend of mine is thinking about a Med-large 7mm and this is what I sugjested to him. Doesn't RWS make top end brass for the 300 Win?

I tested the 195s in my 7/300 up to 81.5 grains with RL33 today and never hit pressure in Nosler brass. I found an accuracy node at 79.8 grains with a seated at .045" off the lands and I figure I'll hit another node at 82.2 grains.

I tested the 195s in my 7/300 up to 81.5 grains with RL33 today and never hit pressure in Nosler brass. I found an accuracy node at 79.8 grains with a seated at .045" off the lands and I figure I'll hit another node at 82.2 grains.
Velocity?

No velocity yet. I generally don't collect velocity data until the load is close to developed due to POI shift with the magneto speed. I'll put it on next trip. Often times the magneto causes flyers that normally don't occur when the barrel is free.

Last edited:
Velocity?

I pushed the load up to 82 grains of RL33 and encountered my first pressure sign. I ended up dropping the charge to 80 grains of RL33 in once fired Nosler cases and found the seating depth sweet spot of the 195 EOL at .050" off the lands. Velocity came in at 3020 fps from a 28" Pac Nor bbl.

I just got a 7mm-300 WM. Built on a Defiance action, 28" Bartlein, bedded in a McMillan A-5. Shoots lights out and is a fine piece of equipment. I haven't finalized what load I will be using. But everything I have put down the pipe has been .5 MOA or better. It is a great round. That said. My dad bought a Cooper rifle chambered in 28 Nosler. Shoots nearly as well and runs a hair faster (30-70 fps) depending on the load. Decide if you want to buy the extra bushings and go through the extra work with initial prep. , and have a wildcat. Or if you want to grab properly head stamped brass or factory ammo and shoot. Cost shouldn't really play a big factor. Brass is marganily cheaper for the WM, but the die setup and prep is more expensive. They are both incredible rounds and will do anything you want a 7mm to do. Performance is very similar and you would be happy either way. There are advantages to a standard cartridge. But wildcats are cool and a lot of fun too. Decide what is best for you and have fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts