7mm 300 win mag, thoughts...

ColoGuy970

I am kicking around the idea of building a rifle chambered in 7mm 300 win mag for my hunting rifle. Considering the 195gr bergers as the projectile. I couldn't find any discussion of this round on here. I was just wondering what you guys know or think about it.

Why not just build a .28 Nosler? It's shorter and fatter, so it will give you similar performance, but allow an easier fitment in the magazine with the 195's up near the lands.
I was thinking the same thing then I searched for brass it is expensive and hard to find for the 28, correct? Barrel life? Thank you, I want input like this.

I was thinking the same thing then I searched for brass it is expensive and hard to find for the 28, correct? Barrel life? Thank you, I want input like this.
Like all good things, they don't come cheap. And if you want to play the LR game, you gotta pay. I buy Nosler 7mm STW brass for 2 different rifles, so trust me, I feel your pain. 25 cases for $70 is a hard pill to swallow, but it's good brass. And if you don't run it balls to the wall, you can get really good brass life, and make it last for 5+ firings to get your money out of it.

As for barrel life, I have no idea, I'd assume it's similar to the 7mm STW and 7mm-300WM.

Buy a couple of hundred cases a few at a time over the course of a couple of years and you'll have a lifetime supply. That way unless you're a real high volume shooter you won't ever trash more than a handful of them because you'll only have to load each one a few times.

The Nosler's are here to stay though so I wouldn't worry about it.

There's also the 7mm LRM which is just a necked down 375 Ruger case and is probably superior to all of those mentioned when you get right down to it particularly with the cheap and easy to come by brass, no belt, and no rebated rim.

If I ever burn out my STW's I'll probably just rebarrel them all in 7mm LRM. I'm shooting a whole lot of .375 Ruger these days anyhow and I've already got probably 250 cases saved up.

In order to match the performance of the 7mm with 195s, you'll need to run the 220+ grainers in a 300 mag. Then you'd need more case capacity pushing you toward the RUM case. If your not concerned about matching the performance of the 7mm with 195s and want the 300 mag, it will perform well with 195s. Hornady makes them in the Eld line, Sierra makes tipped match Kings or SMKs. Berger has some 185s and 210s as well. Whatever you hit with either diameter or weight bullet won't know the difference. Your moa will be different but your on target energy will not be separated by alot of ft lbs.

In order to match the performance of the 7mm with 195s, you'll need to run the 220+ grainers in a 300 mag. Then you'd need more case capacity pushing you toward the RUM case. If your not concerned about matching the performance of the 7mm with 195s and want the 300 mag, it will perform well with 195s. Hornady makes them in the Eld line, Sierra makes tipped match Kings or SMKs. Berger has some 185s and 210s as well. Whatever you hit with either diameter or weight bullet won't know the difference. Your moa will be different but your on target energy will not be separated by alot of ft lbs.
He was asking about the wildcat cartridge called the 7mm-300 WinMag. It's a .300WM necked-down to a 7mm bullet. He just forgot to put the hyphen in it.

That's a helluva group on your profile page. Hold on to that gun. 308 barrels seem to last decades. That's a keeper.
Thanks, I always hold onto guns, and just rebarrel them when they need it. I never sell any unless it's extreme circumstances.

Thanks, I always hold onto guns, and just rebarrel them when they need it. I never sell any unless it's extreme circumstances.
That 308 barrel is a rock. They seem to last forever. I'm the same way with guns. Although I do not need as many as I have, I'll never sell.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.