300 win mag, 300 wsm or 338

ricknolan

You guys have really got me to thinking about this long range hunting. Sounds like my 270 wsm will do fine for deer out to 4-500 yards.

How about an elk gun with the same range limitations, 4-500 yards.
I have a Model 70 - 300 win mag with a 4x12x40 vxi that shoots 180 grain Partitions very well (.5 - .75 moa) but I would like to toy around with something new.

Since I really like the Tikka T3 lite this is what I am thinking.

Either get a 300 wsm or 338 mag with a 4.5x12 xviii with the B&C reticle. Put on a brake and get it zeroed at 200 years. Will this do the 4-500 yard trick on a full grown elk?

Which one should I get, the 300 or 338 and why? Or would I be better off taking the Winchester I have and just playing around with it. Using the Tikka will save me some weight in the field. I can get in a new Tikka, scope and brake for around $1200 or $1300.

What do you think?

Rick

I believe in buying the best optics you can afford and then sticking it on the best gun after that.

Your 300WM is plenty for 500yd elk. If it's that accurate, I'd spend my $$'s on some high end optics. My personal favorite is the Nightforce 3.5x15x50 with the R1 reticle, but for your rifle, I'd get the R2 reticle.

Then when you are ready to move up to 1000+yds, you already have the optics.

Good Luck,
AJ

ps: For elk, get a .338.

don''t buy the 300wsm its too close to your 300 wm.if you buy the tikka 338wm it will not shoot as flat as your 300wm,but that doesn''t mean its not a great elk rifle.
that lupy bnc is a fine scope but their are way better out there.
seeing the 300wm shooting so good you could re-scope her and extend your shooting range,or have her built into a custom .
regards jjmp

This form has really got me to thinking.

I have an old Savage 110 in 30-06 I bought back in about 1972, 73 or 74.

What if I re-barrel and stock that action in a 338 Edge or something. I bet there could be some real interesting options to play with here.

I never really thought much about doing custom stuff but if I can re-stock and re-barrel for less than a mortgage payment I might be interested.

What say you?

I believe all the RUMs take the large shank barrels and actions, the 30-06 is the small shank.

Go to Savage Shooters and look at RUMs for sale and or sell yours.

You have got a 270 that will go well past 400 for deer. Plus a 300 win that is close to 1k or more. That means your next step up is in the 338 class IMO.

BH

You don't need a large shank receiver for the edge. In fact, the smaller shank is preferred. The larger shank RUM's had a tendency to split the thinner barrel nut. The only issue with using the '06 is the wrong bolt head and you'll only be able to run it single shot.

The only things you'll need is an action wrench, barrel nut wrench, magnum bolt head, edge barrel, go-gauge. All that could be had for less than $500. And, you could switch back to '06 just as easy.

Add a really nice Stockade stock for $150-$300.

I don't know what your mortgage payment is, but that is way less than mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.