300 WSM vs 300 Win Mag

britz

I just placed an order for a 300 WSM passing up on a 300 Win Mag. I am looking for an accurate affordable rifle that will perform fantastically at longer ranges on deer elk and possibly fox. I decided on a Tikka w/ a 24" barrel, and the salesman talked me into a Short mag because of the barrel length and the performance out of the WSM cases. Did I screw up?

Well, the two cases are two similar to say you "screwed up". It comes down to preference. The WSM will cost you a little in terms of versitality in loads and a little bit in performance. At normal ranges this doesn't really mean a lot. At longer ranges, you'll pay a little by being stuck with a lighter bullet or lower velocities due to deeper seating of the bullet.

My opinion is that the WSM is a GREAT round, but that it cannot be taken to its promise in a short action. Heavy bullets must get seated too deep...especially in factory chambers. The RSAUM, which never really caught on, was probably the max you could get for a true short action cartridge. If you put the WSM in a long action, custom chamber that allows it to shine, it is more or less equivalent to the Win Mag in every respect.

Enjoy your gun and don't worry about it.

Don't loose any sleep over your decision, you made a great choice. I have three 300 mag's. A 300 Wby, a 300 Win and a 300 WSM. My Win mag with 180 gr bullets gets 3030 fps with 75 gr of RL-22 and a 26" barrel. While I have not had my WSM on a chrono, I've watched my buddy get 3150 fps with RL-19 out of a 24" barrel with no pressure signs.

If you're looking for a light rifle which you can pack all day and still have good range at anything you'll hunt in the lower 48, I'd say you won't be disappointed.

Double AA

I am shooting 190 bergers at 3000 fps with H4350 I cant see where the wsm will fall short. Oh and I am doing it with a 24"barrel..

With bullet advancement, look at using 165-180 weight bullets for the smaller OAL of the WSM. I have two friends I've worked up loads with the 165 & 168 gr bullets. Nothing will stand in the way in North America up to and including elk & moose. Good choice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Both are good,but a 300wm can out perform the short 300. the trick is slow burn powder.My Browning SS stalker 24" will produce 3265fps with 82gr of IRECO 85.This stuff is a surplus ball that was only availble in Utah with a burn rate slightly faster than H870.More trivea the load was tested at Barnes @59000 psi, sami spec is 64000 psi.

The win mag will only out perform the WSM with 200 and larger bullets and then it is close. Premium bullets in the 180 gr class really eliminate any real difference.

For example you can run a win mag with a 210 berger to little over 3150 but close to vaporizing bullets if the bore is rough and accuracy falls off normally.

You can run a WSM with a 210 the same length barrel and get 2975-3050 with no bullet issues and accuracy fall off.

Be glad you got the WSM and do not let anyone tell you different. I have 3, two for comp and one for hunting.

I have shot a 5 shot 18" group at 1680 yards with my WSM.

BH

the tikka is a lot of gun for the money. i have a sendero in each. 50-70 fps the deer will never know the difference

[ QUOTE ]
The win mag will only out perform the WSM with 200 and larger bullets and then it is close. Premium bullets in the 180 gr class really eliminate any real difference.

For example you can run a win mag with a 210 berger to little over 3150 but close to vaporizing bullets if the bore is rough and accuracy falls off normally.

You can run a WSM with a 210 the same length barrel and get 2975-3050 with no bullet issues and accuracy fall off.

Be glad you got the WSM and do not let anyone tell you different. I have 3, two for comp and one for hunting.

I have shot a 5 shot 18" group at 1680 yards with my WSM.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to shoot over 1200 someday. Thats awesome!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.