Thinking of going 6.5 PRC thoughts

Sorry, didn't intend to say that you were getting any freebies from Sherman.

Here's my guaranteed step by step process for getting stuff for free:

1) Don't ask for free stuff
2) Don't ask for discounts on stuff
3) Offer a product, service or skill which companies may find beneficial
4) Be a paying customer
5) Be generous with your own time, knowledge, and skills
6) Don't expect free stuff in exchange for your time, knowledge or skills
7) Don't ask for free stuff (that one's worth mentioning twice)

As for the easy good paying jobs, you don't get those; you either earn them or create your own.

I might have to borrow these to post on Facebook for my liberal friends.

I just built a 6.5PRC for a hunting rifle. I used a Defiance XM Short action. I set it up with a Wyatt's extended internal box. Works just fine, glad I didn't go with a long action. Of course, if you're using a Remington donor, I'd go with a long action.
Hornady brass is not the best, but it's cheap... buy more. Plus the factory loaded ammo 143gr and 147gr shot well, oh and it's cheap ( compared to Nosler or Norma in the calibers that are offered in factory loadings). I have fired both in my rifle to do my barrel break-in, they both produced 1/2 or so MOA at a 100yards.
I choose the PRC because ....why not, really what's the difference between 6.5SS, SAUM, PRC, 6.5-284? When you're shooting 140-150gr pills 100FPS up or down on the 3050-3100 average that your getting from them makes no difference. IF you want one spend your money, we're not taking any of this stuff with us anyways. Just my opinion of course.

I'm liking it. Too many naysayers out there crying about the +200 FPS or so. But, they also love the 30-06 over the 308. Same story.

Sadly, despite the best of intentions by the manufacturer, they cannot satisfy everybody and thus the naysayers exists. I on the other hand always welcome new choices. The great thing about America is that we still have a choice and plenty to choose from, what we do with those choices is entirely up the the individual.

Not meaning to hyjack but I'm looking hard at this too. I'm considering the PRC or 6.5x284.

On the action I have in mind the longest COL I can go is 3" and a Wyatts box can handle 2.995 so I believe the PRC will work well hear. My first question is are there any detachable mags that will accept close to 3" COL?

My 2nd question is about where will the 6.5x284 OAL be using the 150 smk or similar long bullets?

Lastly I know there may need to be more time to know for sure but how will barrel life be between these 2 cartridges?

Sorry, didn't intend to say that you were getting any freebies from Sherman.

Here's my guaranteed step by step process for getting stuff for free:

1) Don't ask for free stuff
2) Don't ask for discounts on stuff
3) Offer a product, service or skill which companies may find beneficial
4) Be a paying customer
5) Be generous with your own time, knowledge, and skills
6) Don't expect free stuff in exchange for your time, knowledge or skills
7) Don't ask for free stuff (that one's worth mentioning twice)

As for the easy good paying jobs, you don't get those; you either earn them or create your own.
Yeah, I do all of those, and still don't catch any breaks... Guess it's just the cards I was dealt when I was born.

I do occasionally joke about free stuff, but that's all it is, because it never happens. LOL

I just built a 6.5PRC for a hunting rifle. I used a Defiance XM Short action. I set it up with a Wyatt's extended internal box. Works just fine, glad I didn't go with a long action. Of course, if you're using a Remington donor, I'd go with a long action.
Hornady brass is not the best, but it's cheap... buy more. Plus the factory loaded ammo 143gr and 147gr shot well, oh and it's cheap ( compared to Nosler or Norma in the calibers that are offered in factory loadings). I have fired both in my rifle to do my barrel break-in, they both produced 1/2 or so MOA at a 100yards.
I choose the PRC because ....why not, really what's the difference between 6.5SS, SAUM, PRC, 6.5-284? When you're shooting 140-150gr pills 100FPS up or down on the 3050-3100 average that your getting from them makes no difference. IF you want one spend your money, we're not taking any of this stuff with us anyways. Just my opinion of course.

I built mine on a Defiance Rebel XM Medium action, awesome to say the least,
6.5 PRC all the way.....I say to the OP build one and don't look back.

Not meaning to hyjack but I'm looking hard at this too. I'm considering the PRC or 6.5x284.

On the action I have in mind the longest COL I can go is 3" and a Wyatts box can handle 2.995 so I believe the PRC will work well hear. My first question is are there any detachable mags that will accept close to 3" COL?

My 2nd question is about where will the 6.5x284 OAL be using the 150 smk or similar long bullets?

Lastly I know there may need to be more time to know for sure but how will barrel life be between these 2 cartridges?
Mdt makes a mag without a binder plate that gets close to 3". As do other companies I'm guessing

6.5 #2.jpg
6.5 #3.jpg
"Weatherby Fan, post: 1463486, member: 29953"]I built mine on a Defiance Rebel XM Medium action, awesome to say the least,
6.5 PRC all the way.....I say to the OP build one and don't look back.

[/QUOTE]
Rifle looks sharp, I'm positive he won't regret building/buying one.

Last time I checked this was a long range hunting website, not long range PRS website. I'm also pretty sure this thread was about building a long range HUNTING rifle. I dunno about you but I can run my long actions just as fast as any of my short actions. I usually try to make kills in one shot. So running the bolt super fast isn't a big priority for me or most other hunters
The difference in cycling a long and short action would probably be measured in thousandths of a second. It's never been a convincing argument for me.

More importantly since most of my rifles are long actions already I'd rather keep my muscle memory the same when cycling them. Short stroking a long action in a critical situation can get you or someone else killed.

Big reason lots of target/tactical/PRS shooters like the short action is it allows a shooter to maintain cheek weld and cycle the bolt. This is import in that you never have to remove your eye from the scope and the cheek weld is in the exact same place for the next shot. It can tighten groups. Also would aid in keeping game in the scope, if a follow up is necessary. Lots of times that extra 3/4 inch on a long action hits you in the face if you cycle from the prone position with your check on the rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.