Thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon

Elkaholic,
I really like the sound of your 6.5 SS, in your opinion, what would be the best way to get into your chambering on a budget? I just can't afford a several thousand dollar rifle right now, and don't really see that opportunity anywhere in my near future. It took me almost a year to be able to save up enough for my 338 TC barrel. Any direction would be appreciated. Would a savage long range hunter in 6.5 creedmore be a good starting platform? I know it would need to be rechambered, and the bolt face changed. What else would need to be done?

I was going to suggest a savage. You could go Creedmore and just change the bolt face which is cheap and easy on a savage. You could also buy the cheapest Model 16 available in 300 WSM and part out everything but the action. They come with a 3x9 Nikon BDC scope which you could also sell. You could then install a quality barrel of your choice and the mag box and everything would work. I just built a 7SS that way and had just over $2000 including a 6,5x20 Zeiss scope. I put a 5r Krieger on mine and I shot .3 moa at 1100 yards a couple weeks ago........Rich

Rich,
Thank you for the info. You just confirmed exactly what I was thinking. My build fund will get started soon, and as soon as I can get enough $ saved up I'll be getting in touch for parts. Thanks again.

Rich,
Thank you for the info. You just confirmed exactly what I was thinking. My build fund will get started soon, and as soon as I can get enough $ saved up I'll be getting in touch for parts. Thanks again.

You are most welcome! Let me know when I can help out.....Rich

Rich,
What steps does it take to form the brass for your 6.5 SS and 6.5? I've never had a wildcat before and haven't had to make any brass. If you were building a rifle for yourself which round would you use?

Rich,
What steps does it take to form the brass for your 6.5 SS and 6.5? I've never had a wildcat before and haven't had to make any brass. If you were building a rifle for yourself which round would you use?

The SS requires pushing the shoulder back, shortening, and turning the neck. The Sherman needs only to be necked down partially leaving a "bump" on the neck, load and fire away. I have quality Norma brass for sale for the SS ,which is ready to fire, for those who don't like to mess with case forming. I have some I have fired 12 times and it is still good.
As far as which I would build for myself, I built one of each:D. Seriously though, it just depends on whether you want a LA or a SA. They both perform on par as far as velocity and accuracy.......Rich

Rich,
Thanks for the info. When the time comes I'll probably go with the LA less work on the loading end and I can find 270 brass everywhere, wsm and saum are hard to find around here. Besides my uncle shoots a 270 so I'll have access to free brass that way.

Rich,
Thanks for the info. When the time comes I'll probably go with the LA less work on the loading end and I can find 270 brass everywhere, wsm and saum are hard to find around here. Besides my uncle shoots a 270 so I'll have access to free brass that way.

Let me know how I can help.....Rich

Rich,
What components would you recommend for a budget friendly build? Action, barrel, stock? Do you have any certain smiths you would recommend? I want a rifle that I can trust. I'm tired of wondering if my gear is up to par with my ability. If I miss a shot I want to know it was me and not my rifle.

Rich,
What components would you recommend for a budget friendly build? Action, barrel, stock? Do you have any certain smiths you would recommend? I want a rifle that I can trust. I'm tired of wondering if my gear is up to par with my ability. If I miss a shot I want to know it was me and not my rifle.

My last build was a budget 7SS on a Savage and it shoots .2-.3's. You could get a 116 Savage for your long action build, which should work just fine. I would order one with a popular barrel that would sell easily. The 116 is a package rifle with a 3x9 Nikon BDC scope. You could part out everything but the action and get $250-$300 back. You already will have a good trigger, just put in a light spring. I would buy a quality barrel because that is not the place to skimp! For a scope, you could get a Viper HS which is pretty good for the $$$. I put a Boyds laminate thumbhole lightweight hunter on mine and had it pillar bedded. You should be able to have a completed custom rifle that would perform very well for $2000........Rich

Thanks for the info. That was pretty much what I thought as well. As soon as funds are available I'll start ordering components. Once I get everything together I'll get in touch with you about the reamer and dies. Thanks!

Thanks for the info. That was pretty much what I thought as well. As soon as funds are available I'll start ordering components. Once I get everything together I'll get in touch with you about the reamer and dies. Thanks!

No problem. You might come in a little under $2000

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.