Thinking about 6.5 Stw

SA1000

I'm thinking about having a 30" 1 in 8 twist 6.5 barrel I have rechambered in 6.5 stw to try some of the heavier bullets coming out.Anybody shooting one?

I say go for it. Anything the 26 Nosler will do the STW will do just as well. Match it with some of the 150gr + 6.5 mm bullets and I think you'll be very happy.

I'd really like to hear how fast the STW case can push a 160 Matrix. Heck, my WSM pushes them over 3100... the STW should net a respectable amount more than that.

t

I am all for it. It's a great idea that sounds like a ton of fun! **** the barrel life, even 500 rounds of life will last years and years at 10 rounds a year for hunting. Or have a great time and plan to replace it when accuracy tapers off. Barrels are a perishable asset, off with the old, on with the new. A 30" barrel should get you about everything, in terms of velocity. If it was my build, I would either fit a straight 7 twist or order a transitional twist from Kreiger or benchmark that goes from 8" twist to 7" twist at the muzzle to be sure you have adequate stability in all possible conditions with the heavy for caliber 6.5 bullets. Stock up an 8# of Norma 217 or R-33 and let that big dog eat!!

After i burn this one I'll order a 7 exit twist from rock creek of I like the way it does.My brother is shooting a 257 stw we put together and we've had good luck with it.He just hunts with it so barrel life it's to much of a concern for him I will shoot mine more.

After i burn this one I'll order a 7 exit twist from rock creek of I like the way it does.My brother is shooting a 257 stw we put together and we've had good luck with it.He just hunts with it so barrel life it's to much of a concern for him I will shoot mine more.
I have a few 264 win mag in my collection. I just love them. Stupid easy to hit at 1,000 with plenty of energy for any game roaming around in the bushes and backwoods. A long barreled 6.5STW is just more of an awesome thing. Bravo sir, carry on.

.....The 6.5 super-mags are just too much of a barrel burner for my liking.........

I won't disagree with that Mud, but if you've got a safe full of practical then it's time to permit yourself a wild hare.

So far the 6.5's have probably maxed out at the .264 Win Mag, and equivalents. The bullet advancements that have driven the bigger calibers has finally got to the 6.5's.

Burning a barrel can be a good cure for ADHD, by the time you're tired of it, it's time to move on anyway.

Like Buzz Lightyear say's "To infinity and beyond"!

I won't disagree with that Mud, but if you've got a safe full of practical then it's time to permit yourself a wild hare.

So far the 6.5's have probably maxed out at the .264 Win Mag, and equivalents. The bullet advancements that have driven the bigger calibers has finally got to the 6.5's.

Burning a barrel can be a good cure for ADHD, by the time you're tired of it, it's time to move on anyway.

Like Buzz Lightyear say's "To infinity and beyond"!
As far as Alabama hunting is concerned, I do have a safe full of impractical. :D Hell, my .308 Win, .25-06 AI, and 7mm RemMag will do anything I need. But as far as long range hunting/shooting goes, I'd say I'm right in the thick of the action with the two 7mm STW's and the big .300 Ackley Mag. :cool:

Just personal opinion, I like my barrels to last more than 500-600 rounds, as I don't have the money like some do to afford to buy new barrels on a whim. But once again, that's just personal opinion based on the cards we're dealt. If I had 3 wishes, the first one would be either infinite wishes or $1 Billion dollars, so I could have one of just about every cartridge out there.

See, I'm both ADD and OCD, and I don't take meds for either of them (because I think that Big Pharma drugs do more harm than good). Alone, they can both be shortcomings in their own right, but if added together, and learned to be harnessed properly, they can create some amazing results. So when I put my mind to it, and actually focus on something, I study everything I possibly can about it, and focus all my energy on it and don't give up easily, like a dog with a bone. So I will work on loads until I find either A) the best it can possibly shoot, or B) a load combo that it likes. Sometimes that can result in quite a few rounds down range before either of those scenarios are reached. Which is one reason why I like reusing new factory take-off barrels, because they can sometimes be a bit of a challenge, and make me focus and think.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.