Thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon

"tag" just means I'm jumping onto the thread band wagon :) so I receive notifications on it. Just listening in.

Ok, looks like the 260 gets the most votes. Now my question is whether there is enough benefits to warrant the cost of another rifle? I already have a 308 win that shoots sub moa with my handloads. What would I benefit from going with the 260 over it?

PS: I've also have a 338 for my extended range hunting.

Ok, looks like the 260 gets the most votes. Now my question is whether there is enough benefits to warrant the cost of another rifle? I already have a 308 win that shoots sub moa with my handloads. What would I benefit from going with the 260 over it?

PS: I've also got a 338 for my extended range hunting.

Less recoil. and better ballistics with the light bullets.

My advice would be , first make a list of potential choices, look and compare performance,
look at required action length, look at available ammo and components (Some cartridges are wildcats and others are proprietary and ammo and brass it limited).

There is always a more powerful or popular cartridge and you must decide how much power is enough.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks JE Custom,
I had originally thought of a 6.5x284 for my encore but with only 1k round barrel life, and not having the ability to set back the encore barrel, that idea has been scrapped. I know I'm limiting myself with the encore platform but I'm just a sucker for that rifle!!! I love the fact that I can shoot most chamberings from 223 on up into the 416 Rigby in the same platform and my cheek weld and trigger never change.

The 260 is a great choice for a factory option. If you do want to go custom, the 6.5 SS (SA) or the 6.5 Sherman (LA) will both make 3300' with 140's and 3100' with 160's. They are designed for good barrel and brass life and are absolute hammers in the 6.5 category. Dies and reamers are available, and it is looking VERY likely that brass will be available in the SS next year. The SS will outperform ANYTHING out there that has a coal of under 3". It is also on par with cases with far more capacity and will give better barrel life......Rich

The 260 is a great choice for a factory option. If you do want to go custom, the 6.5 SS (SA) or the 6.5 Sherman (LA) will both make 3300' with 140's and 3100' with 160's. They are designed for good barrel and brass life and are absolute hammers in the 6.5 category. Dies and reamers are available, and it is looking VERY likely that brass will be available in the SS next year. The SS will outperform ANYTHING out there that has a coal of under 3". It is also on par with cases with far more capacity and will give better barrel life......Rich

You should not have told me that Rich... If that's the case, I just might have to go ahead and get you to send me all the reloading dies and reamer for the 7mm SS no-turn. :D:D:D

That is some serious velocity! What BBL length? Sounds good all around. I am running 2830 with a 30" .260 and 139 Lapua's on top of H-4831sc.

Exactly what is the 6.5 Sherman short? I've heard of it on this forum, but not really anywhere else? How does it compare to the 6.5 SAUM?

I have got 3339 fps in my 6.5 Sherman with 140 Bergers. This was using N570 in a 28" Hart barrel. Rich isn't kidding when he says they will get this velocity.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.