Thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon

TC338

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon for my next rifle. Looking for suggestions on chamberings. I'll be hand loading for it so factory ammo availability is not a concern for me. I've never done any type of brass reforming but wouldn't be apposed to trying it. I'd prefer a chambering I can put in a TC encore barrel. I'm kinda a sucker for a really good TC. I'd be using the rifle for mostly target shooting and some deer hunting. I've already got my 338 set up I'm working on for deer and bigger game. Just thinking about something a little easier on the wallet to feed than my 338.

The 260 Rem (6.5/08) or the 7/08 makes a great pistol or rifle round that works well in the Encore.
and is capable of 600 to 800 yard shots on deer size game.

The 6.5x47 Lapua would also be a great cartridge for the Encore.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the info, I had considered the 260, 6.5CM, 6.5x47, 6.5-284, and some wildcats aka 6.5-06 and 6.5-300 win mag. Just wanted the opinions of shooters who have more experience and knowledge than I do.

Thanks for the info, I had considered the 260, 6.5CM, 6.5x47, 6.5-284, and some wildcats aka 6.5-06 and 6.5-300 win mag. Just wanted the opinions of shooters who have more experience and knowledge than I do.
Always good to check around.

There are so many 6.5 options, from mild to super wild.

One of these should be pulling your trigger finger saying do it, do it.

In the end choose what you want.

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon for my next rifle. Looking for suggestions on chamberings. I'll be hand loading for it so factory ammo availability is not a concern for me. I've never done any type of brass reforming but wouldn't be apposed to trying it. I'd prefer a chambering I can put in a TC encore barrel. I'm kinda a sucker for a really good TC. I'd be using the rifle for mostly target shooting and some deer hunting. I've already got my 338 set up I'm working on for deer and bigger game. Just thinking about something a little easier on the wallet to feed than my 338.

What happened with the 6.5 Grendel? It is a very capable round. I just joined the 6.5 club, as I ordered all the parts for my 6.5 Grendel upper build, last night. Can't wait to get them all in, assemble, and go to the range.

If you want something more powerful, the .260 AI or 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) are my suggestions.

MudRunner2005,
I left that one off because I already built my wife a 6.5 Grendel TC encore. It's a sweet shooter to. Just thinking of another gun/barrel to add to my collection. You can never have too many guns!!!!!!

Lots of good choices. For the kind of shooting you describe the 260 would be cost efficient and very accurate. I'm very partial to the 6.5x284. While there is lots of noise about barrel life, I get superb accuracy out to 1200 yards with my rifles chambered in this caliber using 140 VLD's. Very easy to build accurate loads, and the 1000-1500 round barrel life is easily trumped by the performance, and low recoil. IMO.

My 260 Rem. does just what you describe. The action just came back from MCR a couple weeks ago. Bedded it into a Greybull stock I had in the corner of the shop and loaded some rounds to work up to Kevin's recommendation. As of yesterday, 40 rounds have been through the barrel. The best shooting, lowest SD/ES, no pressure signs, so far, is one tenth of a grain under that recommendation. The load is running the Berger 140 at about 2820 fps through a 28" 1/8 twist barrel.

Not only is she accurate but has a light recoil. When I put the Muscle brake back on her, there is almost no recoil - a big plus for my getting my wife to shoot. Plus the 260 is less expensive to feed, approximately 42+ grains, when compared to the 7mm RM in the safe, using almost 70 grains of powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.