Thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon for my next rifle. Looking for suggestions on chamberings. I'll be hand loading for it so factory ammo availability is not a concern for me. I've never done any type of brass reforming but wouldn't be apposed to trying it. I'd prefer a chambering I can put in a TC encore barrel. I'm kinda a sucker for a really good TC. I'd be using the rifle for mostly target shooting and some deer hunting. I've already got my 338 set up I'm working on for deer and bigger game. Just thinking about something a little easier on the wallet to feed than my 338.

Roger that. I just procured my first 6.5 CM, feeling a little bit like a traitor to my lazeriffic 25-06, but it was very light and looks like a great deer/antelope rifle capable of taking elk to moderate ranges. Can't wait to break her in. Also, I figure it is a great gun for a wide range of hunters in my family. 6.5 CM takes the concept of the .308 that is IMHO improved upon by the 7mm-08, to a seemingly sweet spot. Little more downrange oomph than the 243, but a lot flatter shooting than the 7mm-08. Pretty cool, and easy on barrels and shoulders. Small little stiff action, and not as dramatically affected by barrel length as the big magnums. Yay.

My last build was a budget 7SS on a Savage and it shoots .2-.3's. You could get a 116 Savage for your long action build, which should work just fine. I would order one with a popular barrel that would sell easily. The 116 is a package rifle with a 3x9 Nikon BDC scope. You could part out everything but the action and get $250-$300 back. You already will have a good trigger, just put in a light spring. I would buy a quality barrel because that is not the place to skimp! For a scope, you could get a Viper HS which is pretty good for the $$$. I put a Boyds laminate thumbhole lightweight hunter on mine and had it pillar bedded. You should be able to have a completed custom rifle that would perform very well for $2000........Rich

Rich, I am about to begin a build and had kind of settled on a 6.5x55. Seeing all this talk about your new round has me pondering and was hoping you might be willing to answer a few questions for me. I have a Savage 110 30-06 as my project action. I have a smith lined up to do the 6.5x55 barrel work but doubt he is setup to do a Sherman barrel. What all would he need and how much are we talking? How much for a set of dies, yes I already reload? What are we talking in terms of recoil as compared to say a #10 30-06? I'm looking for something that can go beyond 1k and perhaps all the way to the back of my range, 1480, but without beating the crap out of my shoulder. And finally, how much is the brass or would I have to use 270?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.