6.5 SAUM thoughts

Daveinjax

I am thinking about building a 6.5-300 SAUM on a S/A 700 remington action I have. It has a Wyatt extended mag. box that will seat to 2.98 COL. It would be tight with a 6.5-284 loaded with 140gr. bullets so I was thinking about a SAUM case to build a 6.5 s/a rifle on. Anybody tried this? Any function or pressure sensitivity issues? 24" , 25" ,26" barrel ? Thinking 25" with six flutes on remington mag. sporter contour barrel. I will be taking apart a 7mm-08 cdfl that I'm bored with. It has over 2500 rounds through it so it's due for a new tube. I will need a new bolt I know already but can anyone point out anymore issues.

Built my 7mm saum on a SA Browning A Bolt with a 26 inch barrel. The mag length was the major problem, trying to seat the bullets out far enough to kiss the rifling made the cart. too long. We ended up stretching the mag to 3.20 and cheating the bolt stop just a llittle bit to get a couple of thou more travel. And all this worked out well.

The 7mm saum is easy to load for so I think a 6.5 saum will be easy also.
I'm currently using H 4831sc and MagPro with WLRM primers.

Good luck on your build

Wont need Wyatt box on long action. 3230 max with140 with28 Inc rock.
Retumbo compressed h-1000 getting 3200 good luck

I don't know of any 6.5 SAUM load data but there is quite a bit for the 6.5 leopard which is a 270 WSM necked down to 6.5mm. I believe that Ernie Bishop (a member here) shoots a specialty pistol chambered for it.

I just did a 6.5-300wsm on a rem sa with a Wyatts box, throughted to touch the lands at a coal of 2.995 to fit the box. I shoot 140 vlds at 20 thou off the lands and it's been shooting 1/4 Moa at 100. To answer your question the saum is an even better fit for a sa rem, go for it if you want a sweet 6.5. I had a bunch of WSM brass and a reamer so I went the WSM route, otherwise I would have gone saum.

My 6.5WSM is almost complete, i'm running a 30" Obermeyer with a Stiller S/A (i'm going to be rolling single shot with this one).

the 6.5RSAUM has a few advantages over the WSM:

With the reduced powder capacity, the RSAUM brass is better suited to the 6.5 bore (the WSM is severely overbore) & with Lapua beginning 7mmRSAUM brass production:rolleyes:, I would have gone with the RSAUM in a heartbeat.

The RSAUM will meet the velocities of the larger WSM with less powder & also do so with increased bbl life (how much I can't say).

I vote for the RSAUM,

PS- you don't have to buy a new bolt if you don't want to, your 'smith can open the bolt face. The caveat being, depending on what your 'smith charges, it's usually a fairly negligible cost difference to order a new one piece PTG bolt with a better extractor, they usually fit better in your action as well.

I will go with a new bolt. I am looking at PTG's bolts and would love to get some opinion on extractor styles. I plan on having the action trued up when I send it to Pac-Nor for a barrel. I want to buy my own reamer to have around as I'm sure it will eat barrels. Pac-nor doesn't show it on their wildcat list so I'm buying it anyway. Btw who is the best source for reamers , PTG ? I am thinking of blank dies cut with my reamer but as this will be my first wildcat rifle I don't know what is best practice. Custom from Redding or cut from blank dies. This will be my every day deer rifle so I don't want too long of a barrel. 25" is splitting the difference of 24" and 26" barrel length. I am wanting a little over 3000fps and don't know if I will get that in a 24" barrel without jacking the pressure up. I want 3000fps to max 3100fps . 3000-3025 is what I want and have it fall into the accuracy range. Mostly don't want to burn up brass and barrels or overdrive hunting bullets and have them fail at close range. I shoot 10 to 12 deer every year and 9 out of ten are within 50 to 70 yards. One or two a year are over 200yds every year. Got a 9pt last year at 383yds over a clearcut and passed on a buck at @ 500yds due to wind. Nothing like being 45' up a pine getting frequent flier miles and trying to shoot.

PT&G is the one stop shop for your reamer & bolt. My recommendation for extractors is the M-16, I have some of the factory Rem extractors, I have Sako extractors & I have M-16 extractors. Had I known then what I know now, I would have never gone with the Sako & have zero intention of owning one again. I believe the M-16 offers the best of all worlds, more positive extraction than the Rem style & is pinned in place unlike the Sako. How can you lose? :rolleyes:

26" would be my recommended minimum for that cartridge... 28" would be better. Can you achieve your goal velocity? Yeah, probably....:D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.