Thinking of going 6.5 PRC thoughts

One lot of bad ammo isn't a very good sample size but I understand your perspective. I know a lot of guys who've sent thousands of rounds of factory Hornady ammo down range with no issues like you've witnessed. I haven't shot enough factory ammo in the last 20 years to really have an informed first hand opinion on the quality of factory ammo so I just base it on what others around me have experienced. That doesn't mean that it's all perfect any more than your experience shows that it's all bad. I've had bad batches of Nosler Accubonds, Sierra MKs and Hornady SSTs,Federal 215 primers, CCI BR2 primers and bad batches of Nosler, Norma, Winchester, Hornady and Bertram brass. Heck, I've had bad barrels from Bartlein, Douglas and Benchmark as well as X-Caliber and McGowen but that doesn't make them low quality. It just means that I had a bad sample. The whole point is that for a guy who doesn't load his own ammo, the 6.5 PRC fills a niche which isn't really covered by a lot of other options.

What are the options for factory loaded short action chamberings capable of shooting a 140gr class bullet at 3000 fps? Do any of those factory loadings offer Lapua brass? There aren't any I can think of, so for the particular niche filled by the PRC Lapua brass just isn't an option. Hornady brass is absolutely capable of holding sub MOA accuracy to distances far beyond the effective range of any chambering using it assuming it's used in an equally capable rifle. So if the owner of a 6.5 PRC wants to load his own ammo, the Hornady brass isn't going to hold him back. Will he get 20 firings per case? Probably not. Worrying about brass life is similar to worrying about barrel life though, both items are consumables which are intended to be replaced.

As for the short action, look around at what's in stock and available to ship right now for a short action compared to a long action. Now try and find a long action Savage stock from Manners or McMillan in stock and ready to ship. Now ask yourself how many PRS shooters you see shooting a long action. If action length weren't an issue in a sport which revolves around speed you'd probably see more long actions in those competitions. Since the 6.5 PRC was intended to be a high performance factory chambering for use in the PRS style matches, it needed to fit into a short action in order to get even a passing consideration by that crowd.

Again, the 6.5 PRC is a great round for what it was design to accomplish. I probably wouldn't build one just because it doesn't fill a role that I need filled. I certainly wouldn't discourage somebody else from building one though.
Last time I checked this was a long range hunting website, not long range PRS website. I'm also pretty sure this thread was about building a long range HUNTING rifle. I dunno about you but I can run my long actions just as fast as any of my short actions. I usually try to make kills in one shot. So running the bolt super fast isn't a big priority for me or most other hunters

I'd rather spend the money and be different, than be just like everybody else from the same cookie-cutter mold. But everyone has a choice and preference.
trust me I don't have to spend money to be differento_O. the 6.5 PRC has a purpose it will be for family member on one of my donated savage actions and then I will build a 25 PRC and need only one set of dies to reload keeping cost down on this is the primary concern. its my money being spent and donated.

Last time I checked this was a long range hunting website, not long range PRS website. I'm also pretty sure this thread was about building a long range HUNTING rifle. I dunno about you but I can run my long actions just as fast as any of my short actions. I usually try to make kills in one shot. So running the bolt super fast isn't a big priority for me or most other hunters
so the 6.5 creed aint one of the most popular long range hunting as well as PRS cartridges

Being different just like everybody else, isn't really that different. The Sherman rounds are well supported proprietary rounds with a pretty good following.

Then again, trying to be a little different is the perfect reason to buy or build a 6.5 PRC. Everybody is saying to just shoot a 6.5x284 since it offers very similar performance. The PRC is the perfect way to achieve 6.5x284 performance while taking a less conventional route. Seems to me like you should be all over it!
I will say this, just like with the CM, I don't hate the cartridge itself... They are both good designs, and I probably would have bought into both, had they gone with a 40º shoulder instead of the 30º shoulder...But, they didn't. Might as well built a 6.5 SS (40º) and .260 AI (40º). They suit my design ideals better.

What irks me to no end, is the way people portray these new cartridges... The gun rags will whore it out as the best thing that's ever existed...Until next year, when they get paid to whore-out something new. Then once something new comes out, the old cartridge will become "obsolete" (not literally, but trend-wise because something newer will be out). Plus, all the newbies with the mystical powers rumors it will gain, etc... etc... etc...

trust me I don't have to spend money to be differento_O. the 6.5 PRC has a purpose it will be for family member on one of my donated savage actions and then I will build a 25 PRC and need only one set of dies to reload keeping cost down on this is the primary concern. its my money being spent and donated.
I'm not telling you how to spend or donate your money. I'm telling you how I would spend your money if it were my money and my build. There's a big difference in the 2, and the distinction should have been obvious.

The discussion was about the 6.5 PRC cartridge and available platforms. It was designed as a competition round as well as a hunting round to function through short actions. The 6.5x47 Lapua and 6.5 Creedmoor were designed as a short action target rounds too, but I don't see anyone worrying about it's use by both the competition and LR hunting communities. All of the PRS/tactical style match shooters I know hunt with their match rifles. They know all the drops, drifts and quirks of their cartridges and rifles. Most of those guys can judge wind better under field conditions than the vast majority of long range hunters. The reality is that short actions sell very well. Just because they don't suit your needs doesn't make them an inferior product or make the users inferior shooters. It just makes sense that companies would market products to take advantage of a popular trend in the shooting industry. Heck, I hunt almost exclusively with specialty pistols so I don't see why guys need a butt stock. Since they don't suit my needs, does that mean that anyone shooting a rifle is a victim of marketing hype?

I will say this, just like with the CM, I don't hate the cartridge itself... They are both good designs, and I probably would have bought into both, had they gone with a 40º shoulder instead of the 30º shoulder...But, they didn't. Might as well built a 6.5 SS (40º) and .260 AI (40º). They suit my design ideals better.

What irks me to no end, is the way people portray these new cartridges... The gun rags will whore it out as the best thing that's ever existed...Until next year, when they get paid to whore-out something new. Then once something new comes out, the old cartridge will become "obsolete" (not literally, but trend-wise because something newer will be out). Plus, all the newbies with the mystical powers rumors it will gain, etc... etc... etc...

Even Rich recognizes that a 30 degree shoulder offers more reliable feeding which is why he made his SST line. I have to say, for a guy who dislikes marketing hype and pushing the newest and best innovation to come out in the history of ever, you spend a lot of time pushing the Sherman Wildcats. Isn't that the same as a gun writer pushing the newest and best from Hornady, Winchester or any other major manufacturer?

Even Rich recognizes that a 30 degree shoulder offers more reliable feeding which is why he made his SST line. I have to say, for a guy who dislikes marketing hype and pushing the newest and best innovation to come out in the history of ever, you spend a lot of time pushing the Sherman Wildcats. Isn't that the same as a gun writer pushing the newest and best from Hornady, Winchester or any other major manufacturer?
No, it's not the same. Mainly, because I don't get anything free, no kickbacks, and don't get paid to do so (like most all gun writers and YouTubers do). Also, I like to design wildcats. Therefore, I know the benefits of certain case design features, and Rich's cases are VERY similar to the features I like to design into mine. I know they are a solid design and his test data backs that up and proves it.

Also, you might want to read Post #74...

No, it's not the same. Mainly, because I don't get anything free, no kickbacks, and don't get paid to do so (like most all gun writers and YouTubers do). Also, I like to design wildcats. Therefore, I know the benefits of certain case design features, and Rich's cases are VERY similar to the features I like to design into mine. I know they are a solid design and his test data backs that up and proves it.

Also, you might want to read Post #74...

All companies give kickbacks and free stuff and write it off as marketing or advertising, I do it all the time with some of the stuff I make. It's not just gun writers or Youtubers getting stuff either. Heck, even I've gotten a decent variety of scopes, actions, triggers, stocks, barrels, bullets and other shooting related stuff to play with for free over the years. Some companies will give stuff to anybody! LOL

I'm also pretty sure I read post #74 before I quoted it, but sometimes I quote messages just because it makes me look like I'm paying attention. I assume you meant the part where you said the cases with 30° were good designs but you'd have them if they had a 40° shoulder. I hear that a lot from customers, "I want one just like that, but completely different";)

All companies give kickbacks and free stuff and write it off as marketing or advertising, I do it all the time with some of the stuff I make. It's not just gun writers or Youtubers getting stuff either. Heck, even I've gotten a decent variety of scopes, actions, triggers, stocks, barrels, bullets and other shooting related stuff to play with for free over the years. Some companies will give stuff to anybody! LOL

I'm also pretty sure I read post #74 before I quoted it, but sometimes I quote messages just because it makes me look like I'm paying attention. I assume you meant the part where you said the cases with 30° were good designs but you'd have them if they had a 40° shoulder. I hear that a lot from customers, "I want one just like that, but completely different";)
I've never gotten anything free or any kickbacks from Rich Sherman...Nor have I asked for any either. So, that should put that to rest quickly.

Nobody has ever given me any free guns, actions, scopes, triggers, stocks, barrels, bullets, etc... I've had to pay for everything I've got. Those of us born unlucky still can't seem to figure out how the rest seem to catch the lucky breaks, get all the cool stuff for free, and get all the easy good-paying jobs.

I've never gotten anything free or any kickbacks from Rich Sherman...Nor have I asked for any either. So, that should put that to rest quickly.

Nobody has ever given me any free guns, actions, scopes, triggers, stocks, barrels, bullets, etc... I've had to pay for everything I've got. Those of us born unlucky still can't seem to figure out how the rest seem to catch the lucky breaks, get all the cool stuff for free, and get all the easy good-paying jobs.

Sorry, didn't intend to say that you were getting any freebies from Sherman.

Here's my guaranteed step by step process for getting stuff for free:

1) Don't ask for free stuff
2) Don't ask for discounts on stuff
3) Offer a product, service or skill which companies may find beneficial
4) Be a paying customer
5) Be generous with your own time, knowledge, and skills
6) Don't expect free stuff in exchange for your time, knowledge or skills
7) Don't ask for free stuff (that one's worth mentioning twice)

As for the easy good paying jobs, you don't get those; you either earn them or create your own.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts