Thinking of going 6.5 PRC thoughts

Big reason lots of target/tactical/PRS shooters like the short action is it allows a shooter to maintain cheek weld and cycle the bolt. This is import in that you never have to remove your eye from the scope and the cheek weld is in the exact same place for the next shot. It can tighten groups. Also would aid in keeping game in the scope, if a follow up is necessary. Lots of times that extra 3/4 inch on a long action hits you in the face if you cycle from the prone position with your check on the rifle.
Not if your stock is adjusted/fit properly.

Again, we're also discussing hunting rifles here.

Which has very little in common with match shooting beyond the first shot of the match.
Guess what I saying is some shooting practices are just a little easier with a short action. Those practices are very important and in areas other than the moment you drop the hammer on a live target. They are important in being able to shoot well enough to be able to accuratly evaluate your handloads for long range and hone long range shooting skills. I am not taking about any sort of competitive shooting here.

Guess what I saying is some shooting practices are just a little easier with a short action. Those practices are very important and in areas other than the moment you drop the hammer on a live target. They are important in being able to shoot well enough to be able to accuratly evaluate your handloads for long range and hone long range shooting skills. I am not taking about any sort of competitive shooting here.
And that takes us right back to a properly fit/adjusted stock.

Here's what I have against factory ammo, last fall I had a guy call me and was convinced his 300 win. Mag had a problem he said it was shooting great but now it would only shoot 2" groups at 100. I told him to bring his gun and ammo I would have a look at it. He comes to my shop I look it over can't find anything wrong, so I set up a target at 100 and told him to shoot a group sure enough about 2" hes frustrated shows me on his phone where sure enough could put 3 you could cover with a dime at 100 with the same ammo, hornady 180 gr. I believe there superformance ammo. Then he tells me a couple days ago he was trying a different scope and he got a sticky bolt lift after he shot a round, I told him wait a minute let me set up my chrono before he shoots again. He fires a round 3175 fps!! I told him there's your sticky bolt lift I was expecting 3000 + for factory he let's another round go 3075. *** 100fps difference so I told him there's nothing wrong with his gun hes got an ammo issue. He said he had just bought 2 more boxes before he came up so I told him I wanted to look at his empty cases he had just shot he handed me the whole box of ammo I was looking for flat primers and lo and behold in that box of 20 there was 3 with brass colored primers and the rest silver. I told him that's B.S he said he had the other box in his car he went and got it and in that box there were 6 brass colored primers and the rest silver. Needless to say he was furious and was taking the ammo back were he bought it from think he said he paid 68.00 a box for it.
He didn't have any idea how much primers made a difference until I went got 3 rounds of the cheap 180 gr Remington core lok ammo and he shot those into a 5/8 inch group.
I guess if that's quality ammo then so be it.
My point is when you walk into a store and buy factory ammo you have no idea something has changed until you go through something like this guy did, that's why I started loading my own 30+ years ago.

Wow! Unreal. Guess I won't be shooting any hornady

Here is my take on this cartridge. It is not a magnum round nor really designed to be, the 264wm should be able to beat it in velocity as well as the other magnum 6.5's.

I see it as a good "mid sized" 6.5 and kind of look at it like the "06" of the 6.5. In the .30 cal lineup you got the 308 win which I'd consider a solid yet smallish 30 cal and would consider the creedmoor in that same class in the 6.5 lineup. Then on the big end you have the 300 win mag with the 264 being it's 6.5 counterpart. Then of course in between these 2 great 30 cal's you got the legendary 30.06. I could be dead wrong but if there ends up being no design issue or little quirks with the PRC it'll fill the "06 shoes" of the 6.5's quite well.

Yea I get that the 6.5x284 is right in that same area and performance but for what ever reason it never really became standardised or took off. Possibly because it's kind of in between in OAL where a short action won't quite cut it but a long action is more than needed. I don't really know but either way if there is factory ammo readily available for the PRC I think it could become the modern day 06 especially because of the creedmoor's popularity, you'll have almost every creedmoor shooter running to buy one thinking ooh an "amped up hunting creedmoor".

Just my thoughts on it

Personally while I think it's an adequate cartridge it doesn't really serve any real purpose in that it doesn't offer any real improvements over longer established 6.5's. What I have read that the6.5PRC is 375Ruger case necked down. The test rifle had a 1-8 twist and they were shooting 143eld bullets.

It will likely develop a small cult following particularly among competition shooters for a few years but if you want a 6.5 the 6.5 Lapua,6.5CM, 260 Rem, 6.5x55, or the venerable .264wm will all do whatever you want to do with a hunting rifle.

I've been shooting the .260 Rem and .264wm for quite a while and I wouldn't be afraid to shoot any N. American game with them with perhaps the exception of a big Grizz or Brown Bear in AK.

If you just want something really off the wall in a 6.5 The 6.5LRM or 6.5x375 Ruger is a lot of fun and offer a substantial improvement in velocity without the punishing recoil and blast of the 26 Nosler.

Its already a HUGE success. The only ones trashing it already have their favorite and everyone knows on these forums, whatever you own is THE BEST.

The PRC is growing as fast as the ammo becomes available. marketing by Hornady will assure its success continues. Rifle builders, custom and factory are cranking them out fast as they can.

When will Barrett chamber the Fieldcraft in it???

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.