The importance of being Solid

Great posts!! I'm in desperate need to change my rear bag situation, I thought a larger yet mushy bag would be better for shooting on odd terrain but I've found once you start looking for game at longer ranges I choose my shooting platform first, heck the game don't have a clue I'm on them so I can choose where to shoot from not be locked into a shooting position that dictates an odd set up.

I shoot with a stock pack, and cut out a huge amount of vertical by loosing the center strap so the rifle can still ride the bag under recoil the same from shot to shot.

Ahhhhh Rule number 1 or close to it is having a proper rest and set up. If you don't then quite simply you are wasting your time and ammo period end of story. Everyone should read this thread 5 times lol!!!!

interesting read.
i have been wondering about trying the 6-9 bipod. as i hardley ever extend over the 9, using my 9-12. and have been thinking lower than 9 might help.
i did fit bipod spikes and i really like them. i try to just let my body weight rest against them. but using the 9 aiming down hill tends to need a fairly high rear bag. i made one using polystyrene balls.(about 5mm size) i want something light for hunting,but it does tend to be a little mushy even packed tight. but do like the rice idea.

It really has help shrink my groups this is from sunday almost the same size as saturday morn!

Attachments

• dba42250.jpg
    dba42250.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 18
It really has help shrink my groups this is from sunday almost the same size as saturday morn!

This is what I am talking about. Not only tighter groups , but constantly tighter groups on different outings. It sounds like you are developing a good, repeatable and solid shooting form with consistant anchors. Doing it the same every time and being solid is the key. Once you have " the good Feel" for you hold it will become easy and if something is not right you will feel it is wrong before you brake the trigger.

Darn good shooting my friend.

Jeff

I don't muscle my rifle. I let it ride the bags. My left arm is always cradled with my left hand on the rear bag. I use slight pressure to adjust for elevation. If I need very much squeeze I have found it much better to raise the bag somehow. I do not want a bag that is ready to drop in height durring recoil. A bag that needs you hand to make it a lot taller will almost always induce verticle spread.

Jeff

Jeff,
I know you don't do this, but I want your 'VALUED' opinion on my process!!!!!:D
Tikka T 3-SS Lite - 338WM tupperware - no brake -8lb.....hunting 50 to 800 yds.
At the range (100yd) I shoot off a lead sled type rest and then switch to a back pack on the wooden table for my final hunt tune up, cause I will be shooting off hand-or-freehand and leaning on a tree for support if available (slim chance of backpack shot). No bipod.

Here are the questions:
1. Practice for hunt....Left hand use ….Should I pull down on fore end or just grip it tight when on the bench? Tucking it under like you do will not simulate real hunt conditions for my process.

NOW repeat the same Question if I am working up a load.

2. Working up a load on the bench is all about does Nellie like this load? So, should I fold it under like you , lay it on top of scope, pull down on fore end or just grip it tight. Then graduate back to #1 above for hunt practice.

{I will go 1,001 yds if I have toooooooo LOL}

To quote some famous brothers..."Thank you for your support":)

Thats a tuff question and probably the best answer would be to experiment and see what keeps your accuracy and point of aim best. I very rarely shoot off hand but if I dd the forearm would be resting on my hand with elbo in my ribs. If I was to shoot across a pack it would be letting the forearm rest and not held.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks, that is perZackley what I wanted you to relate. Now what about #2.

2. Working up a load on the bench is all about does Nellie like this load? So, should I fold it under like you , lay it on top of scope, pull down on fore end or just grip it tight. Then graduate back to #1 above for hunt practice.

{I will go 1,001 yds if I have toooooooo LOL}

To quote some famous brothers..."Thank you for your support":)

Jeff,
Sorry for asking dumb question. Came back to read and realized that you are going to say the same thing that you Do.

"I don't muscle my rifle. I let it ride the bags. My left arm is always cradled with my left hand on the rear bag".

Right?

Jeff,
Sorry for asking dumb question. Came back to read and realized that you are going to say the same thing that you Do.

"I don't muscle my rifle. I let it ride the bags. My left arm is always cradled with my left hand on the rear bag".

Right?

Thats how I do it. I use form of my hold to be consistant as possible and let the rifle do its thing. Anytime I tri to muscle the rifle I imply bad inconsistant juju.

Jeff

Great topic Jeff, thanks for posting it! We all have a regimen we go through prior to breaking the shot. It's interesting to hear what you and others do. I learned something!!!

have any of you tried the stoney point 5.5"length x 4.5"hight x 5.375"wide rear bag? how well does it work for longrange shooting? is it hard enough?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.