The importance of being Solid

My reason would be I practice to hunt. There will be no pad where I hunt. Also cement can actually make the rifle hop a little more. This depends on the stock, rifle weight and shooter form too.

I prefer the ground, I don't use a mat either as I have seen a mat act like a cushon and open groups. Give me the good old dirt and a good rear bag and I am happy.

Jeff
Ditto, although in some conditions a mat is almost essential due to sharp rocks, cactus, stickers etc.

When that's the case, no padding or as little as possible is advisable and always keep the bipod legs off of the mat and in the dirt/rocks where it will be solid.

Eberlestock makes a pretty good mat that I believe is just a simple thin layer of cordura nylon with zero padding which would suffice in most circumstances.

The standard Red Tac rear bag I have compresses too much in height to the point that I can't get that low to the ground. If it was completely packed full of beads, it'd be about right, I think. Anybody know of a lightweight (backcountry backpack hunting-small and light is good) rear bag that is about 3.5-4" compressed with bead fill?

Well, it sounds like I should give that a try. Quite flexible in the dimension department for various shooting situations as well. Thanks, Len.

Hey guys after reading this I started thinking and came up with this. What are your thoughts, seems to work better than the bag I was trying before? Is there an advantage to some "squish" with a bag? This is super soild, obviously, and I just adjust elevation by moving it fore and aft along the stock.

Attachments

• IMG_0815.jpg
    IMG_0815.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 20
Broz,

Don't mean to revive this thread after a long dry spell but I was reading trying to learn a few things and came across your comments about cradling the rifle.

I cradle the gun also, but my question is how much do you snug the gun into your shoulder? Do you pull it in pretty tight, or do you just kinda lightly place yourself behind it and let it do it's work? I know it is pretty much all about feel but just kinda curious how tight you try to pull it in? I feel that this is probably the most inconsistent part of my form and I can probably do a lot to make it better, but I am curious how much other people pull the gun in. I generally try to just snug it in a little bit but sometimes I feel I snug it in too hard. Can you really do a such thing as "not snug it in enough?" Just curious I guess.

Broz,

Don't mean to revive this thread after a long dry spell but I was reading trying to learn a few things and came across your comments about cradling the rifle.

I cradle the gun also, but my question is how much do you snug the gun into your shoulder? Do you pull it in pretty tight, or do you just kinda lightly place yourself behind it and let it do it's work? I know it is pretty much all about feel but just kinda curious how tight you try to pull it in? I feel that this is probably the most inconsistent part of my form and I can probably do a lot to make it better, but I am curious how much other people pull the gun in. I generally try to just snug it in a little bit but sometimes I feel I snug it in too hard. Can you really do a such thing as "not snug it in enough?" Just curious I guess.

Here is what works for me for my most consistent hold. First I do not pull the rifle to me. Pulling back would unload the bipod legs. What I do is dig my toes in and push forward just enough so I can feel that the recoil pad is against my shoulder. Not tight, just enough to remove all slack and lightly push forward so the bipod legs are slightly loaded. You are right, it is an acquired feel. But once you get a feel for it, and practice, muscle memory will kick in and you will be able to repeat it. My right hand is relaxed after I get the rifle leveled and only used to break the trigger at the time of the shot, my left arm is cradled and my left hand is only in control of the rear bag. Squeeze the bag to bring the crosshairs down, relax the bag to bring them up. Cheek tight on the stock.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.