To go down the solid projectile rabbit hole?

Quicksilver338

I've got a 30" broughton 338 barrel on order for my sako trg 42. It's going to come in 9.3 twist and was planning on slinging 300 bergers out of my 338 lapua. Lately I've been toying with the idea of switching to solid projectiles like cutting edge, badlands, etc. but would like to be able to use their 270-280gr bullets for ELR shooting. Trouble is to fully utilize those I would need to switch the barrel over to their 7.3 twist barrel which I assume would eliminate me from shooting an jacketed bullets like the 300 berger and such.

This will for now only be used for pure sport and enjoyment. My current range I shoot I have access out to 1860yds but will shortly be able to get out to 2000-2400yds. My question to you more experienced guys is...

Will I notice a benefit in performance by switching my 338 lapua to solids over from jacketed bullets at ranges out to 2500yds? All shots will be take around 2000ft elevation and around 27.8" on the barometer. With the correct twist rate for each given bullet I'm looking for a setup to perform the best at that range. I do not shoot this setup often as I have other calibers to play with and will only be bringing it out from 1550yds and beyond, so the price of solid projectiles doesn't need to be a deciding factor.

I have heard plenty of guys take the bergers way beyond 2000yds, but with upcoming advances in solid projectile performance like the badlands precision 260 and the cutting edge lazer line of bullets I can't help but wonder would making the step to commit to those bullets give me an edge over the berger 300gr otm?

Open to discussion and opinions from people who have gone down the rabbit hole before. Improving the cartridge is an option as well but wasn't planning on doing that with this barrel yet. I would rather better my long range shooting further before investing in different dies and other components once I feel I need the extra performance from improving the shoulder.

Thanks!!!

I'd probably stick with the 9.3" twist and see how it does. I've had good luck with the 300gr OTM out to 2600 yards with a muzzle velocity of about 2900 fps (and as high as 3200 fps). I think a 338 Lapua is better suited to the 250gr class of solids anyways so your 9.3" twist should still work if you wanted to try them.

I'd probably stick with the 9.3" twist and see how it does. I've had good luck with the 300gr OTM out to 2600 yards with a muzzle velocity of about 2900 fps (and as high as 3200 fps). I think a 338 Lapua is better suited to the 250gr class of solids anyways so your 9.3" twist should still work if you wanted to try them.
I have ran some numbers on the 250 solids and may have to try them if I stay that route. On paper they're about the same performance as the OTM's. The bullet consistency is an attractive part of the solids and hopefully would result in more consistency downrange. I have heard the bergers transition very well but solids you need to have your barrel twist in check to help them along.

I've been really tempted to try the 250gr solids in a few of my 338s too since they all have 9" twist barrels. I've been happy with the OTM's though so it's hard to justify the added expense for the solids.

I'd stick with the bergers too for those ranges. Past 2500 the solids will give a slight edge. I don't feel they are worth the extra cost in .338

Quicksilver338

It's really tough to beat the overall advantages that the 300 gr. Bergers has been able achieve in performance. It comes down to asking yourself what distance is it that the majority of your shooting will be at. Yes there will be days you will want to push the envelope farther and they will still do pretty good when pushed. I am always up to seeing folks shoot very accurately while going beyond their own expectations. When the day comes and you want to dabble in the 338 Badlands I will be one to admit a few of my friends here in Wisconsin use them and they really do fly well through the transonic stage. If you want I can ask what twist, barrel length that they are running if that helps.

Take care
Iamosoh

Quicksilver338

It's really tough to beat the overall advantages that the 300 gr. Bergers has been able achieve in performance. It comes down to asking yourself what distance is it that the majority of your shooting will be at. Yes there will be days you will want to push the envelope farther and they will still do pretty good when pushed. I am always up to seeing folks shoot very accurately while going beyond their own expectations. When the day comes and you want to dabble in the 338 Badlands I will be one to admit a few of my friends here in Wisconsin use them and they really do fly well through the transonic stage. If you want I can ask what twist, barrel length that they are running if that helps.

Take care
Iamosoh

Valid points, I think sticking with the bergers for now and seeing what they accomplish will be the best move at this point. If you wouldn't mind I'd be curious as to what barrel manufacturer they're using along with twist rate a load data. Thanks!

Quicksilver338

They started out running the 250 Gr. Bandlands out of a 9.5 twist with Retumbo. Then the rifle was chambered to a 338 Rogue.

The Badlands 260 gr. 338s ran well this last weekend at Spear Point in Kansas when shot at the 1400 yard target with the 9.5 twist, so he has a barrel that worked with his 285 Hornady and yet the 260 Badlands if needed.

The new 34" barrel will be a 8 twist and a person could get by well with the 8.5 as well pushing Badlands new 275 gr 338. One of the 338 Rogue with a 8.5 twist 34" is floating at 3240 fps.

Barrels were KP from Rapid City, SD
And powders to test mattering on bullet weight
Retumbo, RL26 and IMR8133.

The Badlands bullets are working out well for these guys, myself and a few other friends use the Flat Lines with great success, but mainly in the 375s and 416s.
I also run the 300 grain Scenars mainly out of my 338LM and I have been really happy but you can't go wrong with the Bergers period.

Just remember every bodies barrels reacts different with pressure but this gets you a good idea, hope some of this helps.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.