The importance of being Solid

Roy, it was an honor to finally meet up with you. We must shoot again. As far as the mat goes, well,,,,it done my heart good to see you get the bipod off the mat and in the gravel. 1000 yards for your rifle is not much of a challenge, you have a real beast there. You and Kirby didn't leave anything out, she is a shooter. Thank You for letting me take her for a test drive. That was mighty nice of you with the price of fuel these days. :D

Jeff

DSC03876Small.jpg

DSC03872Small.jpg

DSC03874Small.jpg
is that a 375 Allen Magnum? why the 20 dollar bills :rolleyes:?

Yes it is a 375 AM. The reason for the 20's is, I didnt have any 100's. :D

Jeff

That's a good one! :D Funny!

That's what I call answering a question in a way that begs for another question.

OK! :D If you had had the 100's what would they be for?

OK! :D If you had had the 100's what would they be for?

Well, Roy was so kind as to let BnG and I send some to 1000 with his new rifle. I sent 3 or was it 4?? Anyway knowing what this new rifle set Roy back and the cost of each loaded round, brass wear and throat wear of a rifle of this make up, it was in reference to what I felt I had used up of Roys new baby.

Just goofing off more or less, my sence of humor is hard to follow at times.:)

But, I do realize what a kind gesture Roy had just made to us.

Jeff

I can't quite make out which bipod you're using?

The bipod is one of my own design. It has evolved over several years.

The thread is about being solid. This bipod is solid!!

I'm used to shooting in my backyard where the shooting spot is blow sand. Very fine stuff. The shooting mat in the pics is designed for the bipod to rest on 'flap' at the front of the mat. No padding. It works great in the blow sand to get the 'solid' bipod level with the bubble. Simply rake the rifle back and forth twisting toward the high side till she's level.

Broz's range the base is hard dirt covered with lime stone. Really nice. However, raking the bipod over the flap on that base did nothing. Thus I set the bipod directly on the gravel. A couple of rakes back and forth and she was level.

I"m all about this solid theme. Seems to be quite important. I have reduced the number of my unexplainable misses significantly. BTW I do not seem compatible with the springy legged things. Everyone else does just fine. I've tried and tried, tested and tested and the solid rest keeps coming up ahead.

BnG shot several shots commenting that he observed the bullet's flight from trigger brake to target. The 375 base must be big enough, with the sun right to make it observable. I wish I could do that.:rolleyes: I can spot each of my shots but can't see the bullet flight. Old is a bummer.:)

Well, Roy was so kind as to let BnG and I send some to 1000 with his new rifle. I sent 3 or was it 4?? Anyway knowing what this new rifle set Roy back and the cost of each loaded round, brass wear and throat wear of a rifle of this make up, it was in reference to what I felt I had used up of Roys new baby.

Just goofing off more or less, my sence of humor is hard to follow at times.:)

But, I do realize what a kind gesture Roy had just made to us.

Jeff

Thanks for answering my question. I fully comprehend what you mean.
Roy is a great guy. I do like him but please don't let him know that! :D

Thanks Roy,
I do all right with the Harris, a bit better with the Sinclair F-class, but carrying it hunting isn't feasible. Kind of fickle, Sinclair has "Tactical/Varmint" now that looks like it has possibilities. I'm a menace with tools or I'd try my hand at design. I need to work out stabilizing the back end, that's my biggest weakness right now. I've been reading all the old posts on rear pods, and bags. I see a rear pod from a ctk precision I haven't noticed before, and may have to get out of my system. It's why I don't have hundred dollar bills in my wallet either.

I've been messing with rear pods also. Final results is that a rear pod that does not have left/right control is a useless as tits on a boar hog.

I've worked out the quick elevation adjustment thing and am solid as a rock but string horizontal big time.

The rear pod need to be something like triangle shaped or at least a wide tracking base, at least 2". I'm thinkin' runners of some sort.

Till then is the eared rear bag.

Thanks Roy,
I do all right with the Harris, a bit better with the Sinclair F-class, but carrying it hunting isn't feasible. Kind of fickle, Sinclair has "Tactical/Varmint" now that looks like it has possibilities. I'm a menace with tools or I'd try my hand at design. I need to work out stabilizing the back end, that's my biggest weakness right now. I've been reading all the old posts on rear pods, and bags. I see a rear pod from a ctk precision I haven't noticed before, and may have to get out of my system. It's why I don't have hundred dollar bills in my wallet either.

Question.... at a range... why not install cement pads in the ground...?

My reason would be I practice to hunt. There will be no pad where I hunt. Also cement can actually make the rifle hop a little more. This depends on the stock, rifle weight and shooter form too.

I prefer the ground, I don't use a mat either as I have seen a mat act like a cushon and open groups. Give me the good old dirt and a good rear bag and I am happy.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.