Straight or Angle

david.eustache

Right now is a screaming deal on the Nightforce TS 80 spotting scope. It is angled. I've not ever owned one before. It would be used for spotting Elk as well as target practice. Any thoughts on the angle versus the straight. I'm not saying I cannot afford the straight but I cannot afford the straight 🙈

6 of one, half a doz of the other lol. When I have a straight I wish I had an angled and the other way around.

I think angled is probably a little more versatile. Glassing uphill at all angled is awesome. Most rotate so you can use them kinda like a straight but with a "offset" Out of the truck or glassing down into canyon I prefer straight just because I think it's easier to find what your looking for, but there are some guys that are lightning fast finding stuff with a angled.

Angled, you learn pretty quick how to get it on target. As said above, offset it when needed. And get a phone scope.

Attachments

• 424C5B05-1A73-4B3A-B0EF-D0463F2663E6.jpeg
    424C5B05-1A73-4B3A-B0EF-D0463F2663E6.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 123
It's personal preference, I run a straight one. Angled seems awkward for me. But with enough time behind one I'm sure it would be fine.

Right now is a screaming deal on the Nightforce TS 80 spotting scope. It is angled. I've not ever owned one before. It would be used for spotting Elk as well as target practice. Any thoughts on the angle versus the straight. I'm not saying I cannot afford the straight but I cannot afford the straight 🙈
I have had both, but prefer straight. IMO the straight makes it easier and quicker to orient on the target.

Thank you for your insight. I feel a little more comfortable purchasing it. Just short of $1,100 is $500+ discount. The new TS 82 is a fortune.

Six/Half Dozen I guess but having had/still use both - I prefer angled. Actually used a buddies new (straight) scope last weekend - was ok in the morning but by mid afternoon it was driving me nuts, could not wait to be done and quit spotting. It didn't help that the height of his tripod legs made me use too much center post, wind shake, slight stoop.... Just do not like straight but that is me.

I think it depends how you're going to use it. Do you want to to just strictly glass with a spotting scope for the majority of the day? If that's the case, definitely get the angled and you'll adapt to it.

BUT, I strictly glass with 15's, and then swap to the spotter to get a better look and to phone skope. So I run a straight spotter. It's just nice to be able to swap them and have the eyepiece of the spotter almost exactly where my binos were without having to move my body or lowering the elevation of the tripod, if you have the angle pointing it.

If it's such a killer deal, buy it. If you dont like it or can't get used to it, sell it for the same price 👍

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.