spotting scope eye piece,angled or straight

I have an angled, I want to get the straight eyepiece though, when I find an extra $2k I'll do that. I find myself constantly rotating it so it's basically like using a straight. The angles have a lot of good uses. I find myself having to completely readjust when going from binos to the spotter. I also feel like, when I'm looking down my eyes try to close and my eyelashes end up blocking my view a little. They both have their place, I think.
I'll also add that when digiscoping with a phone the angled is pretty nice as opposed to having the straight for that.

I really think that I'll just buy a Swaro 95mm STX and swap my ATX eyepiece from the 65mm I have now to the 95mm objective. It'll be really nice to have both and have the ability to setup 4 different configurations for a spotting scope.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how many straight spotters there are on here. Most every hunter I know that spots a lot uses angled to relieve their neck from being held upright all day. Think about when you are relaxing/about to fall asleep, your head always drops down.
Just sayin.

I have had a straight for many years. I went that way for a little more ease of packing. The only problem is trying to get a good tripod that is tall enough and stable when you are 6 ft tall that doesn't weigh a ton. If I had it to do over I would probably would go with the angled. As Reelamin pointed out just make sure the scope will turn in it's own bracket point.

I'm surprised at how many straight spotters there are on here. Most every hunter I know that spots a lot uses angled to relieve their neck from being held upright all day. Think about when you are relaxing/about to fall asleep, your head always drops down.
Just sayin.
I definitely think that's a point, maybe it's more comfortable. I don't know. I find my eyes closing when I move my head down I think if I was looking up hill all day the angled would be perfect. I know I sit behind my binoculars for most of the time that I spend glassing and those aren't angled, and I'm incredibly comfortable with those.

I'll also add that when digiscoping with a phone the angled is pretty nice as opposed to having the straight for that.

I really think that I'll just buy a Swaro 95mm STX and swap my ATX eyepiece form the 65mm I have now to the 95mm objective. It'll be really nice to have both and have the ability to setup 4 different configurations for a spotting scope.

Good point regarding the digiscoping. I've had both straight and angled and prefer the angled for that fact alone.

I did like being able to pull the straight and just quickly check something.

Last year my son drew a desert big horn tag in AZ. We spent 10 days behind glass from early AM to dark looking at rams before he shot a ram on the evening of the 10th day. We had a Swarovski BTX, an angled Vortex, and a strait Swarovski. At the end of the 10 days the three of us all decided it was easier to glass out of the straight spotter than any of the BTX and Angled Vortex. We also concluded it was easier to find rams quickly when one was spotted with the straight spotter. The straight spotter also accounted for more of the rams spotted.

My two cents.

I have had a straight for many years. I went that way for a little more ease of packing. The only problem is trying to get a good tripod that is tall enough and stable when you are 6 ft tall that doesn't weigh a ton. If I had it to do over I would probably would go with the angled. As Reelamin pointed out just make sure the scope will turn in it's own bracket point.
That's not a problem for me. I may "Identify" as over 6 foot, but I still buy pants with a 30" inseam. So I prefer a straight spotting scope.

Last edited:
I've had both and liked them both. For the straight I had to have a taller tripod because I'm 6'3". I would agree that it is easier to find a animal that has already been found with the straight but short of that it's a personal preference. My phone scope seems to be more comfortable with the angled. One of the problems I had with the straight is that if I let go of my phone it wasn't centered and would move from being focus.

Last year my son drew a desert big horn tag in AZ. We spent 10 days behind glass from early AM to dark looking at rams before he shot a ram on the evening of the 10th day. We had a Swarovski BTX, an angled Vortex, and a strait Swarovski. At the end of the 10 days the three of us all decided it was easier to glass out of the straight spotter than any of the BTX and Angled Vortex. We also concluded it was easier to find rams quickly when one was spotted with the straight spotter. The straight spotter also accounted for more of the rams spotted.

My two cents.
I have used then BTX for years, would not be with out it. It still takes me longer to locate spotted game compared the the strait Swarovski I previously used.

Glad to see so many strait guys on here. "Pun intended"

All 4 of my scopes are strait, mainly for the same reasons others have mentioned, but can see value in limited applications where an angled eyepiece would be beneficial. Notably, glassing steep hillsides from a valley floor, or glassing from a prone position.

I can't count the times I've spotted deer with my binos but couldn't see if they were legal. I set up the spotting scope and the deer moves behind a bush as i'm trying to find it in the spotting scope. A straight scope seems much easier and quicker to line up on an animal. I don't spend a lot of time spotting with the spotting scope, and I've only looked through an angled scope a few times, but it convinced me I wanted a straignt scope.

I agree that straight spotting scopes are easier to use because they make finding target easier, but I'll take the angled scope every time because they are more comfortable. I have bad neck aches if I use a straight scope for more than a few minutes.