Straight or angled?

Rich Coyle

There are at least two schools of thought on prone long range shooting. One is for your body to be straight with the line of sight and the other is for your body to be angled. Which is better for the beginner?

I was taught, and I teach, straightened body in line with the rifle for prone position. I see a lot of prone shooters at the range angled at 30 - 45 degrees to the target and some even do fairly well. But I want the body mass absorbing the recoil in a straight line (or as straight as possible) to reduce any deflection of the muzzle on discharge and faster target re-engagement after the shot.

I follow the primary teaching of mostly straight behind the rifle. I think a person can shoot fine from various positions if they are consistent.

For a new shooter IMHO it is best to start with the most accepted method of shooting form and teach the best possible habits.

I am strictly an amateur, but have found the following in my own shooting: If I get as straight as possible behind the rifle it is much easier for me to keep the rearward pressure with my firing hand coming straight back into my shoulder pocket, which allows the rifle to recoil in a straight line. If I assume an angled position, I tend to pull sideways just a little, which inevitably pulls the rifle sideways (sometimes only slightly, and sometimes rather wildly) during recoil. If I focus very intently on my hold I can avoid the problem, but staying straight behind the rifle is definitely easier.

Good luck on Monday.
If it helps - a couple of things to keep in mind.
You may be able to monitor your straight alignment more closely if you remain aware of the position of your head relative to your shoulder. If you're turning your head to look through the sights you're probably at an angle. The straighter your body, the straighter ahead your head will be.
To a slightly less degree, the more you angle your body the further your upper jaw will extend over the comb of the rifle when trying to line up the sights.

Have fun . gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.