Choosing a tripod for viper angled spotting scope $140 budget

SofaKing

I have been looking at two different models from Cabelas unfortunately neither were instock at the store. And with my up coming hunt in October it's time to buy one.
First is "Cabelas vanguard Alta 233ao" Price is within budget and Cabelas says it has a lifetime warranty through them since it carries their name.

Second was Vortex Summit SS-P again within budget and backed by Vortex's warranty.

Does anyone have experience with either of these tripods? Pros or cons?
Thanks

I have a very similiar vanguard. It's not cabelas branded but it is the same model. It's nice enough. Lightweight, simple. At the same time, it is lightweight and simple. Windy days make it chatter and a heavy scope can make it a little awkward in the field. It isn't quite tall enough, fully extended, to look through standing. Very comfortable if you have a chair to sit in. Mine carries an old leupold gold ring and has for the last 2 season.

You may not notice the chatter, it definitely isn't any worse than others of the same construction. We tend to carry a heavy (around 7.5 lbs) tripod for our long distance spotting. The extra weight and longer legs make it a pleasure to spot with.

The Vortex SS are lightweight & compact, 14" folded but the head on the SSP is strange in that the QR shoe sits sideways, like for a camera, so that when you put a spotter on it the handle is on the side instead of the rear. Another thing to consider is twist lock legs versus the clip type; I can deploy the SS very quickly by twisting the bottom foot, extending the legs then twist the other way to tighten it and I'm done. The clip type legs you have to release and reset each clip for each section of the leg, so 3 leg sections x 3 legs = 9 clips the set each time you deploy and 9 again to put it away gets old fast. I found myself using it much less. A lightweight tripod is inherently unstable so it's a compromise. I love the Vortex SS with my Nikon ED50 13-40x, it's lightweight and easily fits in the pack without even taking the scope off the tripod, my go to rig for solo hunting. I also use the SS head(not the pan head with the handle). I take the 7lb rig for the big spotter and it also can hold the rifle, it's solid as a rock.

After going to Cabela's in trying out both of them. I decided on buying the vortex summit.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts