A new guy asking for help choosing a budget scope setup.

Not trying to be contrary, but I would need a target somewhere near the size of an elephant we're I to use 10X @ 1000 yards.
Igordee,

We are on the same page. While Carlos Hathcock may have been able to hit a 2 inch dot 1500 meters away with an 8 power scope, I most certainly don't have that level of skill. I eventually chose the 16x mil-quad scope because 10x seemed too small for a1000 yards, and I thought 20x would severly limit the scopes usefulness for anything under 300.

Bobtom ... I've been using SWFA scopes for a few years now with excellent results. I've had a few where the glass itself wasn't the best but was ok. ALL of them that I have had have been spot on on the adjustments and always return to zero. In my opinion, if you're going to shoot out past 500 or 600 yards, you must dial and to dial you MUST have quality turrets you can count on. After that, glass quality is next priority so you can see in poorer light conditions and after that zoom for convenience and field of view adjustments ...

Enjoy your 'first' swfa ... and just know, you're likely going to want the 3-15 next then the bug will bite you to get the 5-20xHD and then you'll never look back ;)

I'm looking forward to finding out how it shoots! I just need a scope base with screws, red and blue loctite, identify my ammunition, and a day at the range!

I'm looking forward to finding out how it shoots! I just need a scope base with screws, red and blue loctite, identify my ammunition, and a day at the range!

Bob...I've bought several EGW bases and they all have came with screws...all bases I've ever seen came with screws...best deals on them seem to be on ebay.

Mounting solutions has them for $35...with 10% off with their discount code...I can't remember what the code is but it's on their site. And ships from them for free!

Bob...I've bought several EGW bases and they all have came with screws...all bases I've ever seen came with screws...best deals on them seem to be on ebay.

Mounting solutions has them for $35...with 10% off with their discount code...I can't remember what the code is but it's on their site. And ships from them for free!
Good to know! I'll take a look when I get home today!

"For this project, I want a rig that will consistently hit a human torso at 1000 yards, and will last for years to come. I have no use for a flashy name and don't care about showing off, I am by no stretch of the imagination a competitive shooter. I just enjoy making hits down range. 1000 yards was an arbitrary number I landed on that seemed both challenging and possible for decent price if I did my part."
Bob, didn't do that right, but anyways, you have a great way to do things! Smart. I also use EGW rails and agree, they do come with screws. I may also add that while some use blue lock tight on the screws, I don't and never had one to loosen up if I did my torquing correct. Again, the mantra is "good scope in good rings mounted properly". You have the good rifle. If you continue on this good path, you will have a fine rig capable of doing just what you want to do. as my wife says, the fun is in the hunt, meaning looking for the parts is have the fun of putting it all together.

Igordee,

We are on the same page. While Carlos Hathcock may have been able to hit a 2 inch dot 1500 meters away with an 8 power scope, I most certainly don't have that level of skill. I eventually chose the 16x mil-quad scope because 10x seemed too small for a1000 yards, and I thought 20x would severly limit the scopes usefulness for anything under 300.
I was exaggerating a little. :D You are correct in saying a straight 20X would be pretty useless at closer range. I can understand that you are building a rifle on a budget. The problem is that a scope is a bad place to buy too cheap. I usually go Leupold or Night Force. I read reviews on Vortex Crossfire II's and drank the Kool aid. Tried a couple and while I'm sure their higher priced models are fine scopes, I'm not impressed with the Crossfire II's. I'm hoping that your scope purchase fills the bill.

I have Seekins rings on my rifles and haven't had a single problem.
I would buy them again! Remember that a good scope and rings on a lower priced rifle
works better than a good rifle with lower priced optics!
The old adage "You get what you pay for" really seems true in this case?

I was exaggerating a little. :D You are correct in saying a straight 20X would be pretty useless at closer range. I can understand that you are building a rifle on a budget. The problem is that a scope is a bad place to buy too cheap. I usually go Leupold or Night Force. I read reviews on Vortex Crossfire II's and drank the Kool aid. Tried a couple and while I'm sure their higher priced models are fine scopes, I'm not impressed with the Crossfire II's. I'm hoping that your scope purchase fills the bill.

Thanks Igordee, I hope so too!
Going off of the reviews I have read and the testimonials from members of this site, the SWFA scope seems to be an excellent scope with out any of the bells and whistles. It kind of remindes me of my first car: stick shift, manual windows and locks, no air condition and FM only radio. It didn't have all the extras most cars have, but it did everything i needed and more.

I have Seekins rings on my rifles and haven't had a single problem.
I would buy them again! Remember that a good scope and rings on a lower priced rifle
works better than a good rifle with lower priced optics!
The old adage "You get what you pay for" really seems true in this case?
Hello KyCarl,
I'm hoping that the SWFA scope is solid where it counts. Judging by what others have said, it should fit the bill for what I'm looking for.

Thanks Igordee, I hope so too!
Going off of the reviews I have read and the testimonials from members of this site, the SWFA scope seems to be an excellent scope with out any of the bells and whistles. It kind of remindes me of my first car: stick shift, manual windows and locks, no air condition and FM only radio. It didn't have all the extras most cars have, but it did everything i needed and more.
You're a lucky man. Power windows, FM radio and AC weren't even available on cars when I got my first car!

Hello Bob.

I guess I'm the only fellow here in our Americas that has been testing frugal $500 Cnd funds / $300 Usd optics to the 1700 meter mark over the last 8 months.
Just closing in on 7500 + rounds down range.

The word is Nikon.

Funny thing is that I was referred to my by a National F Class tournament shooter who competes at the National level.

These are not our match optics by any means, but they are our all round fill in optics for long range and 100 to 600m shooting sports.

My little Nikon BDC showed pin point actuary out of the box on day 1,,, followed by the 1 km challange, then the 1700M clay bank shoots.

There will be lots of tests and data entry going forward next year as I started this frugal budget optics under $500 last year.

I guessing I'll be the first to step onto a 900 meter shoot this year with the lowest priced optics ever seen by the national Match Federation,,, I could care less what other folks say since I'm doing my own thing.

My main competion optics are $1335 Cnd funds /$1000 Usd.
It's a tack driver,,, but so is the budget scope.

We must not forget that a few years ago a fellow Named Carlos held the world record with optics much less then what we have today.

Purhaps it folks like me that are soon to bring budget optics back in line with folks that fit this category.

If they can't handle the long distance with consistency, then they won't make the list of top 10.

Western Canada Don

PS: Forgot to add :

I use BDC retrical, so this is why these frugal optics are pricey.

Even at that I require 2 more things in the frugal budget line up.

Side mount parallax, and solid click dial up noobs so I can feel the clicks "if" I go into dial up mode.

Many of my older Leopold optics didn't come with this back then, now they do, but those optics start well above the $500 mark / $300 Usd

I keep my retrical limited in cluster since I need fast tacking with out confusion.

Each person gets to choose what works for them.

Good luck finding what's out there Bob

PS: many of us have checked out some of the nicest optics on the planet, a few folks have gone this route, others not so much.
The fellows I listen to are the ones that have back tracked since they have spent their time in Harvesting, National match, and fast PRS challanges.

We only need enough to get us by, to much over that "could" add to confusion in the mix of getting onto target.

I still to this day use Texas Windage, the BDC is there to confirm the way point.

Don

Last edited:
PS: Forgot to add :

I use BDC retrical, so this is why these frugal optics are pricey.

Even at that I require 2 more things in the frugal budget line up.

Side mount parallax, and solid click dial up noobs so I can feel the clicks "if" I go into dial up mode.

Many of my older Leopold optics didn't come with this back then, now they do, but those optics start well above the $500 mark / $300 Usd

I keep my retrical limited in cluster since I need fast tacking with out confusion.

Each person gets to choose what works for them.

Good luck finding what's out there Bob

PS: many of us have checked out some of the nicest optics on the planet, a few folks have gone this route, others not so much.
The fellows I listen to are the ones that have back tracked since they have spent their time in Harvesting, National match, and fast PRS challanges.

We only need enough to get us by, to much over that "could" add to confusion in the mix of getting onto target.

I still to this day use Texas Windage, the BDC is there to confirm the way point.

Don
I'm with you. I hate cluttered reticles. The BDC is adequate for most hunting situations on most rifles. That being said, I like the Leupy VX-R with the illuminated LRV reticle better. More $$ though. When I want to hunt beyond 300 yards, I like a target dot reticle and tall turrets. Not much of a way to get that on a budget. I've been around a couple of Nikon's, one with the BDC. They are about as good as I have tried for the money. And yes, the Nikon's had side focus. Parallax adjustment is a must for any type of long range shooting!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.