Need help choosing a new rifle.

zjfty9

I'm looking at buying a new rifle, but wanted some input and advice before I make my choice. I don't want to spend a lot of money, or should I say I don't have a lot of money to spend on a new rifle. I was looking at Rem 700 SPS, Savage 116, or S&W I-Bolt in .270 win. The gun will be used for deer hunting, with shots under 500 yds. I like Savage, because everyone I've shot has been accurate, but I really like 700 actions. I don't know much about the I-Bolt. It just looks cool. Any help would be appreciated.

It has been so long since I have purchased a new anything except Savage actions I do not know if Remington brought up the quality of their barrels or not.

I do know that I purchased a Savage in 300 Mag and a Stevens in 338 recently for projects. Both shoot three shots touching out of the box. The Stevens was $274. and the Savage was $150. more I think. (Weather Warrior)

Jim Briggs at Northland Shooters Supply has about anything you want at great prices.

Neal

savage 10 fp .308 works for me. 1/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. will work for hunting, target shooting or what ever ......take a look , do a little research this is a good shooter ...:rolleyes:gun)

savage 10 fp .308 works for me. 1/4 inch groups @ 100 yards. will work for hunting, target shooting or what ever ......take a look , do a little research this is a good shooter ...:rolleyes:gun)

Yep, Yep +1 for above. :cool:

I also own a Savage 10FP with HS Precision stock option - which is Fantastic by the way. You can see my rig here.

Cheers.

Only Savage for me now. Especially if you are not going to do much custom work with it at first. It will just shoot.

Go with the Savage or the Remington. If you really get in to it and want to replace a barrel or trigger or get a different stock, you will find more parts available for the Savage and Remington. And they have a proven track record. The I-Bolt does not.

I would stay away from the I-bolt. The way the bolt removes from the action, it can cause problems during normal shooting. If you put any down force on the bolt while running it back in, it will disengage. Very poor design.

Steve

I would go with the Remington. I have several, and the last one I bought was a SPS Stainless. Three shots, factory ammo, and I can cover all three with a dime. With my handloads (powdwer weighed to 0.1 gr. etc.), one slightly oblong hole.
Duane

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.