Budget Medium Range Spotting Scope (~$600)

jtbiv01

New to shooting past 200yds. Last piece of kit for me to upgrade is my spotting scope. Have been running a cheap Barska and am ready for something nicer. I'm relatively brand/model loyal to Leupold VX3 rifle scopes, but all brands are in consideration. I recognize that you get what you pay for. Will spend 90% of its time at the range shooting 300 yds or closer.

Wishes:
Budget approx $600
Angled neck
7mm holes at 300 yds in good conditions

Apologize if the question has already been asked. Did a quick search and didn't find anything. Thanks in advance!

My buddy has the Athlon Ares 15-45x65 for 600. I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the clarity, sweet spot, size and weight, and overall fit and finish. Im tempted to buy it myself but it's a fairly new company so I'm gonna sit back and watch for a while.

Thank You both! Exactly what I was asking. Any input/opinions on the leuppy ventana?

Buy the best Vortex you can afford and you will not be disappointed. IMO, better value than Leo's. Better warranty as well.

Thank you. Which vortex rifle scope line compares with vx3 rifle scopes?

I used to have an older (late-90's) VX3 3.5-10x50, and it was a great scope, and I'd still have it, but it was stolen, along with the rifle it was attached to. I would put them right in line with the Diamondback line. The glass in the Viper HS, HS-T, and PST lines are closer to VX-6/MK-4, through my eyes.

Vortex is probably your best bet for that price range. There is one on the classifieds right now that's not a bad deal: http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-45x65-angled-spotting-scope-w-tripod-182543/

I've seen a couple of Leupold Kenai 2 spotting scopes go for $650 or so used but they don't come around too often. If you're lucky you could find one of those or a used Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80mm in your price range.

I got some of the Viper HD binos this year and they are fantastic for the price. I wouldn't hesitate to get the spotting scope. The 15-45x65mm is around your price range for a new spotter, and it should work well for seeing those bullet holes as long as you have decent light.

Thanks mud'. Great info. Right now the only vortex I run is a strike eagle. It's not terrible. Rang steel out to 550 with my AR.

Thanks mud'. Great info. Right now the only vortex I run is a strike eagle. It's not terrible. Rang steel out to 550 with my AR.

Everyone's eyes are different... And some people base their opinions on favorite brand bias. I am just trying to give the best unbiased comparison as I can based on looking through them with my eyes.

I've got 2 of the Spitfire 3x Prism sights on 2 of my AR's... I love that EBR-556B reticle.

Buy a used 12-40 Gold Ring Spotting Scope. They are a great spotting scope. The only Vortex that is better is the Razor.

I agree vortex Viper spotter is a good buy for the money. I have vortex viper scope and luepold vx3. I think the VX3 has better glass but they are pretty close. The razor line is better than VX 3 and comparable to VX6 (VX6 has an edge over the razor IMO).

For $600ish price tag you wont go wrong with Luepold or Vortex Viper.

The kicker to all optics is you get what you pay for, when you need the clarity the most is when you find this out. If I was going to buy a spotter I wouldn't go any cheaper than the Razor line. You will be glad you spent the extra money in the long run

I agree vortex Viper spotter is a good buy for the money. I have vortex viper scope and luepold vx3. I think the VX3 has better glass but they are pretty close. The razor line is better than VX 3 and comparable to VX6 (VX6 has an edge over the razor IMO).

For $600ish price tag you wont go wrong with Luepold or Vortex Viper.

The kicker to all optics is you get what you pay for, when you need the clarity the most is when you find this out. If I was going to buy a spotter I wouldn't go any cheaper than the Razor line. You will be glad you spent the extra money in the long run

I do like Vortex optics and good warranty to boot. I have quite a few of the viper scopes on my varmint guns. I wish they would make the razor in a lower magnification like the 12-40x. Most of these scopes have to high of magnification for quick target acquisition. The top end of the magnification is worthless with heat waves to at 60 to 80 x.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.