Short Barrel 264 Win Mag Advice

You must like to eat gas? If not, you better find a taste for it... You might make eat so much gas with this one that your eyes water!

LOL, I had a little fun with this one.

On a serious note, My 10.5" 223 is pretty gasy and will burn your eyes. My 7mm mag with a 24" barrel (that I'm pushing hard) has unburnt gas that is detectable.

Best of luck!
HW

Not bad at all if you use the right brake. See my post above on barrel length recommendations for Ishak.

I don't think you will out perform a non magnum with such a short barrel. There is too much powder in the 264 win to burn in such a short barrel. I don't know how the powder burn would be, could have very inconsistent SD/ES.
That is not true on the powder burn or on the inconsistent SD-ES side.
With the 18" 26 Nosler XP-100 video above, I am using 85.5 grains of Reloader 33 with 147's at 3045 fps. It is very accurate, even at distance.
One of my newer guys shooting it.

That is not true on the powder burn or on the inconsistent SD-ES side.
With the 18" 26 Nosler XP-100 video above, I am using 85.5 grains of Reloader 33 with 147's at 3045 fps. It is very accurate, even at distance.
One of my newer guys shooting it.

At 18", now cut 2-4 inches off and it makes a big difference

At 18", now cut 2-4 inches off and it makes a big difference
I have friends that run 15.9" 28 Nosler's, 30 Nosler's, and 33 Nosler's and shoot them at distance and killed game just beyond a grand or competed beyond 1K (King of 2 Mile type comps).
I have not seen the issue you suggest, and neither have they.

Last edited:
I was brainstorming while reading through a previous thread and thinking Short Barrel Rifle. 14"- 18" with a Brake. Primarily shooting lighter 120's & up all Copper hunters. What Twist would be best as well?
I'm in the camp that would think, perhaps not a .264 WM, you might be better served with a 6.5x55mm Swede or up to a 6.5 Rem Mag which is a great old-school cartridge and if you got down to 14" then cartridges in the range of 6.5x57mm and 6.5 CM just my 0.2 Cheers.

I'm in the camp that would think, perhaps not a .264 WM, you might be better served with a 6.5x55mm Swede or up to a 6.5 Rem Mag which is a great old-school cartridge and if you got down to 14" then cartridges in the range of 6.5x57mm and 6.5 CM just my 0.2 Cheers.
I think with a little research ,you can find a better choice for a short barrel 6.5 cal build , if you already have the 264 win, then that's a different story , question will be how short too go. 21 " would be my limit.

Recent Posts