264 win mag

I too use QuickLoads. On a 26" barrel, I try to achieve the faster node (1.329ms). I also try to achieve a case fill of 94%-98%. I also run the 156EOL in both my 264WM and 6.5PRC. My chambers are custom throated but lets just stay w/ SAAMI specs other than twist rates. Here is my 264WM (Actually achieve this w/ less powder and longer OAL). That's my basis. PRC does run them good too though. Roughly 100FPS less w/
different powder. This is definately not a start load.
Sounds like the powder change makes a difference. (What's the fastest load you have discovered in your PRC for the EOL?) What I read online generally suggests the PRC is usually within 100 fps of the Win Mag. I myself chose the Win Mag (in part) because it looked like it would give me the most velocity in a 6.5, short of a seriously overbore cartridge. So you're not really getting an argument from me there. But I do think the PRC numbers and design make it a very appealing out-of-the-box cartridge.

264win! My favorite! If you decide on a 24" barrel and 140-147g jacketed bullets you'll likely end up around 3,040-3,070. If you don't mind culling brass after three loadings 3,100-3,125 is achievable. Trust me, nothing will know you are not using a longer barrel. As I am getting older, I've started to shift more toward lighter rifles, I just don't choose to carry a 28-32" barreled rifle into the field anymore. It's a lot of fun to set up and bang steel waaaaaaaayyyyyyy out there though with the kids. You won't see a significant advantage until you are getting close to the edges of hunting ranges where time of flight becomes a consideration.
A minimum taper carbon fiber wrapped barrel is definitely on the agenda for my next 264win project, with an 8 twist that it will finish at 24".

I agree. Have both. I'm running N560 in my PRC in 24" barrel and it's a little over 100FPS slower. N565 was over case fill. Waiting on N568 to show up. Hard to say who has better brass availability right now.

I recommend 26" barrels as a minimum on all magnum cartridges and, in fact, I try to talk my customers into 28" barrels on custom barrels. Personally, I run 29" or 30" on my builds, but also have 28" and 32" to choose from.
I don't use brakes generally, have all of ONE so fitted rifle, but it needs it.
My 375 Weatherby could use one, just to tame muzzle jump, but I can live with that, and I don't feel ANY 264WM needs a brake, but that's a personal preference.
I will add, I built 2 rifles in 25WSM and one in 6.5WSM. They were plagued with pressure excursions, the 6.5 was a little less affected than the 25, but all 3 rifles were a nightmare to tune without known data out there. We had to extrapolate loads from the 257 Weatherby, and even then we had case dents, sooting and then locked bolts and blown primers. I realise this was when there was much less powder to choose from, RE25 was the slowest available and the only powder that actually didn't behave badly.

The 264WM is a known cartridge with plenty of data available. This is what I recommend.

Cheers.

I recommend 26" barrels as a minimum on all magnum cartridges and, in fact, I try to talk my customers into 28" barrels on custom barrels. Personally, I run 29" or 30" on my builds, but also have 28" and 32" to choose from.
I don't use brakes generally, have all of ONE so fitted rifle, but it needs it.
My 375 Weatherby could use one, just to tame muzzle jump, but I can live with that, and I don't feel ANY 264WM needs a brake, but that's a personal preference.
I will add, I built 2 rifles in 25WSM and one in 6.5WSM. They were plagued with pressure excursions, the 6.5 was a little less affected than the 25, but all 3 rifles were a nightmare to tune without known data out there. We had to extrapolate loads from the 257 Weatherby, and even then we had case dents, sooting and then locked bolts and blown primers. I realise this was when there was much less powder to choose from, RE25 was the slowest available and the only powder that actually didn't behave badly.

The 264WM is a known cartridge with plenty of data available. This is what I recommend.

Cheers.
I also found load tuning for the 264 pretty straightforward, at least to get down to sub 0.5 MOA.

This thread is really taking off. Lots of love for the 264, just what I needed..another gun, but who am I kidding, I'll always want another. So, on another note, will I or how much will I regret a 24 inch barrel over a 26 inch?

I also found load tuning for the 264 pretty straightforward, at least to get down to sub 0.5 MOA.
All my 264 win mags are 26 in. Barrels. I think to get the most out of it go with a 26 in. or more. Great caliber.

I've got my fathers Sako Finnbear in 264. He loved the cartridge and found the gun back in the early '70's. It still has the Redfield 2x7 scope from back then and we even picked up the rear sight, just in case something happened on a hunt. (paranoia runs deep and Murphy is and optimist).
My dad bought one in 1966 and still has it with the original Redfield 3x9. That is one beautiful rifle. It has some battle scars from many years of use. It was his first only rifle for years until I bought him a Ruger 77 in 25/06. Now the Sako sit in the safe ready to go. I am tempted to take it on a elk hunt where he shot his first elk and moose. I think that would be cool to shoot my first elk with the same rifle.

Sounds like the powder change makes a difference. (What's the fastest load you have discovered in your PRC for the EOL?) What I read online generally suggests the PRC is usually within 100 fps of the Win Mag. I myself chose the Win Mag (in part) because it looked like it would give me the most velocity in a 6.5, short of a seriously overbore cartridge. So you're not really getting an argument from me there. But I do think the PRC numbers and design make it a very appealing out-of-the-box cartridge.
The only problem I have with the PRC is this

I have seen it on one of my buddies rifle, the relationship between the chamber/dies/brass sometimes create some issues. And this isn't related to the design of the case, which is good, has more to do with the other aspects of reloading the cartridge.

When I was looking at different larger 6.5 cartridges to build on, this was one of the considerations when I looked at the PRC. Would have been a good option in the shorter Ruger action, we almost went with a 6.5 WSM or a 6.5 Sherman Max as well, but being that the feed rails were designed for a 300 win mag, the .264 wm was the obvious choice. All of them are good cartridges in different scenarios though

I do not think you would be "disappointed " with the 264.
I own more than I can count and 2/3rds have never been fired.
I am still using a Remington Classic that always hits if I do my part.
I call it a long distance death ray.
That's the reason my other 264 rifles have never been fired.

definitely get one... I run the 147 eldm at a mild load of R33 @3187..
ivd used and killed animals with the 130 ab, 140 sst, 140, 140 vld, 143 eldx and 147 eldm.
multiple bears, blacktail, whitetail and mule deer, rocky and Roosevelt elk, antelope and cougar.

id definitely use it on moose if I'm ever rich enough to get a tag.