264 WIN MAG

264win, my favorite! The model 70 is also. That 9 twist factory barrel isn't really a big deal. Granted, it will not work with some of the 140g bullets and none of the heavier bullets. That being said, there isn't much that you can't accomplish with 130g - 140g bullets and less recoil. Get your hands on some 130g Berger AR Hybrids and don't look back. You can reasonably accomplish 3,300 fps with it in that platform and retain 1,000 ft-lb of energy out to 950 yards.

Another great bullet in a standard twist 264 is the 129g ABLR. Pushing 3350fps in a 26" barrel is no slouch. Even at 1000, it works.

Cheers.

I have been loading for & shooting the 264 since 1964. A fantastic all around cartridge. With the proper bullet for the game hunted, a pure delight. The 6.5 has been a very popular cal around the world since at least 1893 when the world renowned 6.5x55 came on the scene. The US is just now realizing the capability of the 6.5. Load the 264 down to 260 Rem/6.5 CM , or up to it's full potential. I've been taking elk every season with a 6.5 since at least 1994. Has never failed me.

Back. In the. 70s. I. Was. Working in a. Gun shop , and there were. Two. Cartridges that had a. Unfair reputation for bring " Barrel burners ". The 220 Swift and the. 264 win. Mag. It frighted many people. From purchasing rifles. Chambered in these rounds ! It's. Sad how once labeled such , it. Never seems to. Go away !! Enjoy. Your excellent. Rifle in this classic round !!!

Exactly correct. I have a Rem 700 264 mag I bought new in 1964. Took my best bull ever in 2014 with it & a Barnes TSX bullet. One shot. That rifle turned 50 that year & I turned 70. It still shoots an inch or better at 100yds. I never shoot more than two shots thru it with out a cool down. It's hunting rifle not a competition rifle.

Sort of? Pick the word that makes YOU happy. Reinvigorate best fits what I was trying to say...

Definition of reinvigorate

transitive verb
: to give new or renewed strength or energy to (something or someone)

Definition of rejuvenate

transitive verb
1a: to make young or youthful again : give new vigor to
I actually wasn't trying to be a Dick! Showing my lack of education....I thought it was your word of the day! I do it all the time! One of mine...is BESTEST ER! And if something tops that...then it becomes MOST BESTESTER! LOL...CHEERS!

It never left, but the renewed interest is due to the availability of heavier higher BC bullets and a faster barrel twist rate. I have a .264 WM 26" with 1:7" primarily built to propel the 156 Berger.
I also have a 264 Win Mag 26" with a 7.5"-twist barrel built for the 156 Berger. Muzzle velocity a bit over 3,000 fps with enough Reloder 26 to be right at SAAMI maximum peak pressure, for my COAL. I consider this the perfect mule-deer round.

264 Win Mag is hands down my favorite caliber. My first one was a Pre '64, 26"bbl in 1975, with factory 1/9", used 140 Nosler partitions and always had one shot kills at any range, 30 to 900 yards. I also have a Pre '64 Featherlight 22" bbl that is dialed in for 120 gr that is awesome on whitetail but unfortunately shot enough that it has throat erosion. Now I'm using my Rem 700 with a SS bbl and working up loads for the 130 gr Accubonds... still debating and testing. Yup, the 264 Win Mag is hard on throat and barrel life, but it's moderate recoil, speed and field results since 1975 on mule deer, antelope and elk gives me confidence in it anytime, anywhere.

I would love to see a. A. 264 win. Mag with a Light weight 26 inch fluted Krueger barrel , like the 24 inch one that is in my. Weatherby ultralight in 270. Win!! I. Think the. 264 Win. Mag.would benefit. From the. Longer barrel. It's Going to. Be a. Super. Long range. Deer and. Antelope. Rifle. ! I'll. Bet. It will. Take Mule Deer at 500. Yards with. Ease !!! Maybe a. Leupold 8.5X to 25X vari. X. 3 with a. 30 mm. Tube!! Wow. That would really. Be. Fun !!!!!!!

To give the OP an idea of what a properly set up 264win is capable of I'll share the details of my last build. My last 264win build was on a model 70 EW action. It's my current favorite. The factory barrel only made it less than 600 rounds before I got sick of having to clean the copper fouling to keep even one MOA accuracy. No love lost there. I had a reamer made to properly seat the 156g to 160g bullets and an 8 to 7 gain twist 32" finish Bartlein tapered from 1.20" at the breech to 1.00" at the muzzle. I reworked the factory Bell and Carlson stock to accept aluminum pillars, new bottom metal to accept AICS 300win detachable box mags and reconfigured the barrel channel to clear the new truck axle. For the bullet I settled on the 160g Matrix, an awesome bullet, I really hope they get their poop in a group and start making that bullet again! My stock is dwindling slowly. If anybody has a few sitting on the shelf, I am an interested buyer! I found best accuracy and lowest SD at 3,086 fps, I can send it quite a bit faster, but SD starts fluctuating as the case fill became compressed and extended range groups open up. It takes about 20MOA of elevation to 1,000 yards where it still carries better than 1,900 fps and 1,300 ft/lb. Deer just fold up where it finds them. I haven't been lucky enough to get a tag for anything bigger, yet. I believe the only changes that I will make for the next build will be the longest carbon fiber wrapped barrel I can get my hands on. Feel free to direct message me any 264 win questions!