264 win mag

jpbaker

Trying to think the best way to work back to a 264 WM. I wanna start with a Rem or Stevens action. I have to purchase a barreled action, so what im wondering.

What cal. will be the easiest to work on to convert to a 264 WM.?

Is it as simple as buying a Kregor barrel, bluprinting the action, and new bolt head along with a little trip to the gunsmith for proper headspacing?

TKS
JPB

A 7 rem mag uses the same case, just get a new barrel and go. I believe they sell the sendero in a 264 WM though. But any long action with a .540 boltface will work. With the savage action as far as I've heard there is no need to true the action because of the floating bolt and since its the same bolt face no need to get a new bolt. JUst have a smith head space the new barrel and screw it on and go shoot.

Last edited:
I assume you are reloading since you are looking at the 264 win mag. Check out the swift scirocco II bullets 140 gr at .571 BC if it shoots well in your gun you will have an amazing long range performer.

I assume you are reloading since you are looking at the 264 win mag. Check out the swift scirocco II bullets 140 gr at .571 BC if it shoots well in your gun you will have an amazing long range performer.

Have you compared them to the Berger 140 gr. Hunting VLD with .612BC?

Just Curious..

TKS
JPB

Yes, I shoot both all the time. The scirroco is the best big game bullet and shoots flatter at the best effective range of this cartridge on large big game. If you are shooting over a half mile the 140 Berger is the best one to use. The 130 is faster and not that much difference in the BC so the 130 wins until you get way out there.

Yes, I shoot both all the time. The scirroco is the best big game bullet and shoots flatter at the best effective range of this cartridge on large big game. If you are shooting over a half mile the 140 Berger is the best one to use. The 130 is faster and not that much difference in the BC so the 130 wins until you get way out there.

Good to know TKS..

JPB

The easiest and cheapest way to go is to use a Savage long action with a mag bolt face. You can have a barrel made and chambered and threaded and screw it on yourself with a go head space gauge. The bolt head is floating so you don't need to have the action squared like on a Rem 700. The Savage bolt head squares itself to the bore. Get the longest barrel you can, 26" as the shortest.
Get you some Retumbo powder. It is the best powder I have found for the 264 Win mag since they stopped making H-870. I just picked up the new Hodgdon annual manual and they have an article that agrees with my findings. I have been using the Nosler 130 gr Accubond and I get 3350 fps from my 27 3/4" Shilen barrel with 66.5 grs Retumbo, CCI 250 primer, WW case that has been reformed from 7mm Rem mag with the bullet 10 thousands off the lands. I have killed 5 deer in the two seasons that I have had this rifle. The longs shot has been only 250 yards the rest have been between 80 and 120 yards. All but one have been dropped in their tracks. That one took three stumbling steps and dropped. The Accubond works great on close shots I know. All but one exited after going through at least one shoulder. That one was shot almost facing me. At 111 yards bullet entered the front edge of it's left shoulder and when cutting up the meat I found it in the right ham. Bullet was a textbook mushroom and weight was 87 grs. It is strange how you set up with a long range rifle and plan to shoot game at the far side of a bean field and they end up popping out almost in your lap. That is the reason that I went with the Accubond at the speeds I am pushing. Good luck and good shooting. The 264 Win mag rocks.:D

RT2506,

TKS for the info, sounds like a pretty easy project, I have a few months to get it done seeing deer season is not till the fall.

TKS
JPB

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.