264 win mag

The 6.5WSM & 264WM are virtually ballistic twins. The 264, with the right twist of 8" or faster, should be just ahead with 156g/160g class of bullets since it hold a little more powder.
My own custom guns have .220" long throats to accomodate the 142g-156g bullets.
I have zero interest in solid VLD's for this cartridge as they are sooooo long that it is a negative return in how far you have to hang them out there.

Cheers.

This thread is really taking off. Lots of love for the 264, just what I needed..another gun, but who am I kidding, I'll always want another. So, on another note, will I or how much will I regret a 24 inch barrel over a 26 inch?

Really wanting to add a 264 win mag to my collection. I once used a buddies on a hunting trip when my rifle was giving me issues and have wanted one ever since. I was impressed with the round and it's capabilities. Someone talk me out of it. Thanks in advance LOL
Why would anyone in a place like this try talking a fellow addict, ooops, I mean firearms enthusiast, out of acquiring another rifle?

This thread is really taking off. Lots of love for the 264, just what I needed..another gun, but who am I kidding, I'll always want another. So, on another note, will I or how much will I regret a 24 inch barrel over a 26 inch?
The only way to know for sure is get one of each and compare results! Sell the one you love less 😁

Go 26 and forget the brake

WSM maybe. But can't follow up a second shot as good. PRC? Good cartridge but no way close.
Rhett
1621572224666.png

That is, QuickLoad predicts a 6.5 PRC with a 26" barrel will shoot a 140-grain Berger VLD at 3,177 fps. Here are the numbers for the same bullet, same powder, same barrel in the 264 Win Mag:

1621572430371.png

That's 3,164 fps with about four grains less powder, making the PRC every so slightly faster and notably more efficient. Compare instead the Berger 156-grain, same powder, and the predicted velocities are 2,999 fps and 3,008 fps. Hornady's reloading manual reports (https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6.5-prc-v2.pdf) maximum velocities of 3,150 fps and 3,050 fps for (respectively) the 143-grain ELD-X and the 147-grain ELD Match bullets (again with a 26" barrel). Those numbers are very consistent with QuickLoad's predictions above.

Hornady engineered the PRCs with fast-twist-rate barrels (1:8" in the 6.5) and chambers contoured for heavy-for-caliber bullets, so these calibers would be ideal for long-range shooting "out of the box."

On what basis would you say that the 6.5 PRC is "not even close" to the 264?

Last edited:
I've got my fathers Sako Finnbear in 264. He loved the cartridge and found the gun back in the early '70's. It still has the Redfield 2x7 scope from back then and we even picked up the rear sight, just in case something happened on a hunt. (paranoia runs deep and Murphy is and optimist).

I've got my fathers Sako Finnbear in 264. He loved the cartridge and found the gun back in the early '70's. It still has the Redfield 2x7 scope from back then and we even picked up the rear sight, just in case something happened on a hunt. (paranoia runs deep and Murphy is and optimist).
I have factory rings/base that are period for that rifle. I think high rings 1" tube. A period set up for target scopes.

View attachment 275279

That is, QuickLoad predicts a 6.5 PRC with a 26" barrel will shoot a 140-grain Berger VLD at 3,177 fps. Here are the numbers for the same bullet, same powder, same barrel in the 264 Win Mag:

View attachment 275280

That's 3,164 fps with about four grains less powder, making the PRC every so slightly faster and notably more efficient. Compare instead the Berger 156-grain, same powder, and the predicted velocities are 2,999 fps and 3,008 fps. Hornady's reloading manual reports (https://press.hornady.com/assets/site/hornady/files/load-data/6.5-prc-v2.pdf) maximum velocities of 3,150 fps and 3,050 fps for (respectively) the 143-grain ELD-X and the 147-grain ELD Match bullets (again with a 26" barrel). Those numbers are very consistent with QuickLoad's predictions above.

Hornady engineered the PRCs with fast-twist-rate barrels (1:8" in the 6.5) and chambers contoured for heavy-for-caliber bullets, so these calibers would be ideal for long-range shooting "out of the box."

On what basis would you say that the 6.5 PRC is "not even close" to the 264?
I too use QuickLoads. On a 26" barrel, I try to achieve the faster node (1.329ms). I also try to achieve a case fill of 94%-98%. I also run the 156EOL in both my 264WM and 6.5PRC. My chambers are custom throated but lets just stay w/ SAAMI specs other than twist rates. Here is my 264WM (Actually achieve this w/ less powder and longer OAL). That's my basis. PRC does run them good too though. Roughly 100FPS less w/
different powder. This is definately not a start load.

Attachments

• 264WM-156EOL-N570.pdf
    233.3 KB · Views: 97