264 win mag

Trnelson

Just acquired a Win model 70 with 26" barrel. I have 140 Berger, 123 Lapua, 140 Hornady SST and Amax and Sierra 142 matchking bullets on the shelf. I favor the 140 Berger, and have a wide selection of useable powders on the shelf. I'd like to see some recent pet hunting loads to get a reasonable idea of what to work up to in order to save barrel life. I have Nosler, Hornady and Berger reloading manuals. I'll be using this rifle for whitetail deer beyond 600.

Just acquired a Win model 70 with 26" barrel. I have 140 Berger, 123 Lapua, 140 Hornady SST and Amax and Sierra 142 matchking bullets on the shelf. I favor the 140 Berger, and have a wide selection of useable powders on the shelf. I'd like to see some recent pet hunting loads to get a reasonable idea of what to work up to in order to save barrel life. I have Nosler, Hornady and Berger reloading manuals. I'll be using this rifle for whitetail deer beyond 600.

It doesn't look like you are getting much love on your request so thought I would chime in even though I don't own a WM. I have, however; shot 6.5's for years. Of the bullets that you mentioned, I would favor the berger, a-max, and sst for deer at that range. The ball powders generally burn a little cooler that extruded powders, so I would choose one that gave good accuracy with acceptable velocity and yet could be loaded at moderate pressures. Some that come to mind that might be suitable are Accurate Magpro, Ramshot magnum, and I have had some pretty consistent results with W780, which has a similar burning rate to H4831...........Hope this might help/Rich

the load I use at the moment is a 140 sst over 63.5 grs of retumbo at 3160 fps....I havnt really played with anything else. I have a lb of R33 that im going to experiment with. im hoping to get some more fps while still keeping the accuracy

Do please share what you learn relative to R-33. I plan to start developement with WC 867 and Norma 217. My rifle is at the smith getting the muzzle threaded for my suppressor so the next three weeks will drag by.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.