264 win mag advice

fisherman983

so im the proud new owner of a remington 700 cdl with 26in ss fluted bl in 264 win mag, somthing ive been craving for a long time!!...right now im trying to figure out which bullet to shoot. it will be used for blacktail and muleys and only out to about 500 yds...im leaning towards the 130 gr category and was gonna try out some 130 accubonds and barnes tsx bullets...i was wondering what other people use, velocities, powder etc....any and all info is welcome

I have a custom 264 win mag with a 27" lilja barrel and I use the 130 gr barnes bullets. I have shot 2 mule deer, 1 white tail, and an elk with this bullet. They always preform. Great accuracy out to 500 yards as well.

I have a 264 Win Mag custom Rem 700 with a 27 3/4" Shilen barrel and I used it last deer season to take 4 deer from 98 to 275 yards with Nosler 130 Accubond bullets. All one shot kills in their tracks. I recovered one bullet from a buck that was facing me slightly quartering at 111 yards. The bullet struck the front edge of it's left front shoulder and made soup out of it's vitals and when I cut up the meat I found the bullet in it's right ham. The bullet was a text book mushroom and weight recovered was 87 grs. This bullet left the muzzle at average 3350 fps pushed by 66.5 grs Hodgdon Retumbo contained in a WW necked down 7mm Rem mag case fired by a CCI 250 primer with the bullet 10 thousands off the lands. This shoots ragged hole 3 shot groups at 100 yards. This bullet that I recovered had to still be doing around 3200 fps when it struck. For a bullet to be going that fast and go through bone and the length of a good size buck and still exhibit that performance it has to be a great bullet. I think it is the best of both worlds. It flies and starts to open up like a ballistic tip and holds together like a partition. I would urge you to give it a try with some Retumbo.

Nosler 100 bt's is all I ever use in my 264 for deer.
I took 3 deer at about 275 yards with an above shoulder shot that took out part of the spine all of them dropped right where they stood.
With this load and shot I don't get any meat ruined with blood shot mess.
All 3 of these deer were dropped within 20 feet apart in about 10 minutes.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.