.264 win mag barrel contour and twist

Just built one on a Ruger M77 long action, Boyds pro varmint stock with adjustable cheek well (about 3.25 lbs) and a 26" krieger #5+ contour 7.5 twist, vortex PST 4-16x50 optic, and it is 12.4 lbs via bathroom scale. Not very friendly for long carrying, but it is a hammer. 147 eld-m's at 3240 fps, and very accurate. A #4 wouldn't be bad, but a #3 would get you about 8.25 lbs finished, with a sub 32 oz stock and sub 25 oz optic.

... what all are you putting together?

A couple of Creedmoors and a Wildcat. The Wildcat is basically a 264 Win Mag in a different wrapper. The last barrel is just a lonely dust collector, at the moment.

I guess I better look at the #3 contour also. I see a lot of 7 twists any disadvantages of the 7 over the 7.5 for the 264? Thinking I will want to shoot the 140 160 grain bullets.

Trnelson,
Did you use the reamer you sent me the drawing of? Have you had a chance to try out that gain twist barrel yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.