.264 win mag barrel contour and twist

Left Hand Dave

So 264 Winchester Mag fans would a 26" Kreiger #4 contour in a 1-7.5 twist work well for a carry gun?

Thanks Dave

So 264 Winchester Mag fans would a 26" Kreiger #4 contour in a 1-7.5 twist work well for a carry gun?

Thanks Dave
That would work well. I recently bought a barrel for a similar application. I bought a Krieger #3.5 contour with a 7 inch twist.

Any concern of the 7 twist damaging the bullets in the faster cartridges? I was building it for the heavier bullets coming out.

I have a 6.5mm 1:7.5" on the way for a new 6.5SS. Plan on running the 156 Berger if it ever comes out. The 160 Matrix is next on my list.

I'm going fluted Bartlein #3's @26" and 7.5 twist for 150 smk, in case Berger shelves the 156. Going down to 2B's for a 6.5SS build, also 7.5 twist.

You will be just fine. I really like the 264win mag. Your choice may be a bit to the heavy side for some folks, but they don't have to carry your rig, you do. I have a few 264 win mag rifles. I have a 26" 8 twist that IMO is about the longest and heaviest 'walking around rifle' I would consider. As I get older I appreciate lighter and handier rifle more and more.
That being said, I just finished a 264 winmag with a 32" bartlein 1.20" to 1" muzzle straight taper with an 8 to 7 transitional twist rifling. I don't intend to carry that rig around too far.
My next build I believe I'll seriously consider utilizing a carbon fiber wrapped barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.