Short Barrel 264 Win Mag Advice

Wild Monkey

I was brainstorming while reading through a previous thread and thinking Short Barrel Rifle. 14"- 18" with a Brake. Primarily shooting lighter 120's & up all Copper hunters. What Twist would be best as well?

I don't think you will out perform a non magnum with such a short barrel. There is too much powder in the 264 win to burn in such a short barrel. I don't know how the powder burn would be, could have very inconsistent SD/ES.

You must like to eat gas? If not, you better find a taste for it... You might make eat so much gas with this one that your eyes water!

LOL, I had a little fun with this one.

On a serious note, My 10.5" 223 is pretty gasy and will burn your eyes. My 7mm mag with a 24" barrel (that I'm pushing hard) has unburnt gas that is detectable.

Best of luck!
HW

I don't think you will out perform a non magnum with such a short barrel. There is too much powder in the 264 win to burn in such a short barrel. I don't know how the powder burn would be, could have very inconsistent SD/ES.
That's a misconception, nearly all the powder burns in the first 3-6" of barrel, gas expansion is what creates higher velocity.
There's no impact on SD etc. And short barrels can be exceptionally accurate.
I have two magnums with 16" and 18" barrels that I run suppressed, you'd be amazed how well they perform.
I'd hate to shoot them braked though!

I was brainstorming while reading through a previous thread and thinking Short Barrel Rifle. 14"- 18" with a Brake. Primarily shooting lighter 120's & up all Copper hunters. What Twist would be best as well?
I'm getting 2900 with 140 bergers with my 16" 6.5 saum suppressed.
@Ernie has a ton of experience shooting big magnum rifle cartridges in xp100 pistols with brakes.

Choose the same twist as if it would be longer barrel.
18" 26 Nosler with 147's
Since yours is a rifle, I would save some money and gov stuff, and run a 16.25" barrel at minimum.
What is the minimum impact velocity for the bullets you will use, and what game at what max distances do you have in mind?