Shooting the "Magic Mile" with a 30 Cal.

My custom 300 rum long throated for Berger 230 running at 3098 ES of 5, loves crushing a 14x14 plate at 1765 yards I only shoot 3 shot groups. I want to try the new 230 A tip from Hornady I backorder 200 of them they are claiming .835 G1 bc we will see about that. They are not cheap.
May have to make a 300 HULK for the new 245 Berger or 250 Hornady A tip.
I have hit a mile with my 300wm and Berger 215 it did great hit it on 2nd shoot and put up a 3 shot group. My 28 nosler with 195's dope was spot on 3rounds on it, it just didn't have the same affect as the 230 or the 300 Berger in my improved 338 lapua

Nice bike! I know a few people with Victorys and they all really like them. I'm more into older iron, but may have to upgrade at some point.
Thanks, its my bucket list bike, great for scoping out new Long Range Shooting areas .
Great picture of your bike also thanks for posting it , I've been looking at some of the Indians, . Ride safe ... ✌️

You were comparing the 300 win to a 30 Nosler. 3100 or very near it is doable with .225 reamer and better brass like ADG.
You can do it with Nosler brass but the primers fall out after 2-3 firings.
I've done it on 3-30 noslers with 25" barrels and accuracy was consistently. 5 m.o.a.
Dont believe me p.m. Alex Wheeler I bet he gives you the same results

Was not doubting. Just wanting to see what you have done. 3100 is possible with a 300win and the 215 Berger with the right powder. Namely N570. In all honesty if its taking pockets out in nosler brass. Its to hot. Good brass just hides the pressure signs.

It would be interesting to see what the pressure is on some of the rounds we load. Like my 30-06 guys think I am way over loaded shooting the Berger 215 @ 2850 FPS in a 28" barrel. But even on Winchester brass I have got over 8 loads and still counting. AND the brass was used when I started. Still would love to know what the pressure is. I am sure lots of guys with "fast" loads are over pressure by a good bit. Just hid by good brass. BUT that's one of the joys of good brass.

How much more grains of water can a 30 Nosler hold over a 300win? 5 grains? O r is it less? Well that depends on the brass.

Would be interesting to see a 30 Nosler get 3200 FPS with a 28" barrel with the 215 Berger. Wonder what the pressure would be.

I dont care about running a 215 at 3200 in a 28" barrel in a 30 Nosler, one 28" barrels are to long for my style of hunting and if I wanted to do that I would build a 300NM.
The Nosler primer pockets are soft that's why it's taking pockets out, you can talk about pressure all you want 99.9% of us have no way of measuring it. Bolt lift , ejector Mark's and flattened primers are the signs I look for none of those are on Nosler brass other than the primer pockets. I've shot alot of different brands of brass on different cartridges and the 30 Nosler was the worse for losing primer pockets

I dont care about running a 215 at 3200 in a 28" barrel in a 30 Nosler, one 28" barrels are to long for my style of hunting and if I wanted to do that I would build a 300NM.
The Nosler primer pockets are soft that's why it's taking pockets out, you can talk about pressure all you want 99.9% of us have no way of measuring it. Bolt lift , ejector Mark's and flattened primers are the signs I look for none of those are on Nosler brass other than the primer pockets. I've shot alot of different brands of brass on different cartridges and the 30 Nosler was the worse for losing primer pockets

I feel the point of my post was missed. That's the problem with the e-net. I feel we are saying the same thing.?

Just stated I would love to test loads that we and that includes me have worked up to see what the pressure is. i am sure are over pressure by a good bit. Some brass will not show pressure to well over 70k. Some only work to 60k any more then that and they stretch to fast. Again the only reason I stated about testing pressure is I think it could be fun. I do wish it was easy to do it or cheap. I am sure If I knew the pressure of some loads I would back them off. But the brass says its good. And as of now that's all I can go with. I do feel that the sammi specs are conservative though.

Have a good day! Its snowing here! Winter does not want to let up.

I hope to build the target stand for my mile targets Sunday if the snow has melted enough. Usually takes another couple of weeks to get to the shooting position. So I'm hoping to find out if my 300win up to the task soon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.