Shooting after cataracts surgery

I have cataracts and I think they are worse than last year.I'm 65yrs now,I have an appointment next month for another evaluation. I'm farsighted with astigmatism and very high plus corrective lenses.20/20 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right eye,(I'm right handed and shoot right handed)with corrective lenses.My eye doctor told me I will be a happy camper when I get surgery. I've talked to several people who have had cataract surgery at the shooting range.Everyone of them say their vision is so clear since they had their surgery. I am so ready to have my eyes done.

I had mine done two years ago and wish I had done them sooner. Everything is so much brighter. Made such a difference looking through the scope, I no longer need prescription glasses to shoot. I was able to pick out a really nice pair of shooting glasses finally. I bought a new scope for the main rifle I use a few years back. Looking through the scope, that had rave reviews about the clarity of the glass, I thought it was only so so. After the surgery, I can see the clarity in the glass. Whole new world.

I am set for June 9 for the start of surgeries on my eyes for cataract. I am just getting into long range shooting. I have a few different options on lenses for my eyes. But **** the price tag. I was thinking just a regular lens for distance. Anyone have cataracts and does it effect your shooting? And what type of lens did you have.
I had cataracts removed from both eyes and replaced with Toric Lens designed for distance and to correct astigmatism. Yes, they are expensive, but they solved my problem, improved my vision and shooting accuracy. I need reading glasses for close vision and reloading. My wife chose Toric Lens for close distance and wears glasses for distance. We both are very pleased with the results.

Had both eyes done about 10 years ago, still no glasses required. What I did was called monovision - my left eye has close up vision and I can read very fine print without glasses and my right eye is for long distance vision. I told the eye doc I wanted to be able to see pistol sights clearly and he took some measurements and took that into account when he selected the lens. For a few years after cataract surgery I used to wear a contact in the left eye to ski or hunt to see perfect at distance, but rarely do that anymore. I would highly recommend asking your doc about that - never need glasses to read or dial the scope while hunting etc. He said some people pay him out of pocket to have this done when they don't even have cataracts, just to get rid of glasses.

Another ophthalmologist here. Many different lenses to choose from. If the astigmatism isn't a lot, you may not needed corrected. My lens of choice is an ey hancement, but talk to your doc.

I am set for June 9 for the start of surgeries on my eyes for cataract. I am just getting into long range shooting. I have a few different options on lenses for my eyes. But **** the price tag. I was thinking just a regular lens for distance. Anyone have cataracts and does it effect your shooting? And what type of lens did you have.
I got the standard long distance lenses when my cataracts were fixed. Right eye ended up 20 20 left needed slight correction to get to 20 20 am good to go driving without glasses. Found is easier to wear glasses all the time than to keep up with reading glasses. I can see iron sights much better since the surgery even when not wearing glasses. Ask your doc about how long to wait before shooting as I recall mine did not want my head getting rattled around by recoil for a while. Had a six month layoff after rotator cuff surgery

Wifey had 2 eyes done 10 years ago & sees like an eagle - shoots good also. Cautioned about heavy kick rifles so its only .204 & .224 rifles. 3 inch steel at 300 yards.

IMG_1453.JPG

Had mine done three years ago, got distance lenses. Use readers for closer. My distance vision is what it was forty years ago. Happy happy happy.

I had cataract surgery about 5 years ago. Back then like now there are any number of lenses available. I selected a lens (Only one eye done) to correct vision back to 20/20 with a focal point of 26 inches from the eye. That give me good focus for both handguns sights and iron sights on rifles. Works good on the computer too. Was told by the doctor not to shoot a heavy recoiling rifle for 3 months. Had the surgery done in December right after deer season so that was not an issue. If I remember correctly there was a slight additional charge for the lens that was over what the insurance company would allow. It was under $200 and gave me 20/20 vision back and focal point for both rifle and pistol shooting making it easy to focus on front sights.

Had surgery last year on both eyes. Got the distance lens and think they should be classified as everything but reading. 35 years putting on glasses when i got out of bed and taking them off when i went to bed. I have even managed to start shooting peep sights again.

Cataract surgery fixes lens problems, but the quality of your vision afterwards depends on the rest of your eye. A foldable lens is good value as it minimizes the incision needed. You will no longer have astigmatism due to a deformity in your lens, but you will still have any astigmatism caused by a deformity in your cornea. A particularly skilled surgeon can reduce your corneal astigmatism somewhat by careful choice of where he makes the incision to change the lens, but it is still very likely that you will have to wear glasses for all distances to correct your corneal astigmatism if you want really sharp vision. The results can be excellent. My cataract surgery was a dozen years ago and I am 87, and with my glasses, I still have 20/15 vision in both eyes.
gking

I have cataracts and I think they are worse than last year.I'm 65yrs now,I have an appointment next month for another evaluation. I'm farsighted with astigmatism and very high plus corrective lenses.20/20 in my left eye and 20/30 in my right eye,(I'm right handed and shoot right handed)with corrective lenses.My eye doctor told me I will be a happy camper when I get surgery. I've talked to several people who have had cataract surgery at the shooting range.Everyone of them say their vision is so clear since they had their surgery. I am so ready to have my eyes done.
I am on a hurry up and wait timeframe for developing cataracts, encouraging to read some of the results. I am looking forward to getting mine operated on, just not so sure about having on operation at the range. Punctuation matters!
My dad couldn't change elevation over 1k feet for a couple of months due to some complication. Still want mine done.