Question about barrel maintenance after shooting

olympicmotors

After finally getting my rifles to group well ( they both seem to need several fouling
shots after cleaning ), my question is :

What do you do to your barrel after a range trip ? (assuming it is still grouping well )

Do you just put the rifle up without running anything through the barrel?
Do you run a dry patch through it?
Do you run an oily patch through it?
How many rounds do you run through it before you clean the barrel ?

My Remington 700 is stainless, and my Daniel Defense has some sort of nitriding
in addition to being stainless, so I guess rust should not be an issue, should it ?

After 30 to 50 rounds I personally run Boretech carbon remover through 3 times and let it set for an hour or so. Boretech gets just enough copper and powder out without needing more than one fouler on the next range session.

If I'm going to be trying a different powder or bullet I'll completely clean it thoroughly with Wipeout.

If your barrel is nitrided you could possibly get away with a Boresnake.

I wipe them down and put them up. I don't clean barrel until I start to loose accuracy or at end of hunting season. Some rifles I lose accuracy in 20 ish rounds, some after a 60+ rds are still accurate. I'm lazy and hate cleaning barrels another reason for not cleaning until I have to.

I cleaned mine more frequently early on but now I go about 30-40 shots in between cleanings. My cleaning process starts with Butch's bore shine and a bronze brush. I do about 10-12 strokes with the brush then send a coulple of patches to clean it out. Then I use Tetras copper gel and a nylon brush for 10-12 strokes followed with more dry patches until they come out clean. I used to send a patch with some rem oil on it but not any more. Works well for me, only takes a couple of shots to get it settled back in.

Some good advice above. As a rule unless I'm putting them up for long term storage I will do minimlist cleaning. Maybe swab it a time or two with an oiled patch and that's about it following a day/days in the field or a little shooting.

Even after a thorough cleaning the first chance I get I put 1-3 fouling shots through the pipe so it's "field ready".

It would be a very rare rifle indeed that doesn't have a change in both velocity and POI after a few foulers so I don't take a thoroughly cleaned rifle on a hunt, ever.

Depending on the rifle and caliber i'll only thoroughly clean them after 30-50 shots or, as mentioned above, if I notice a rifle is starting to lose accuracy or show any pressure signs on the brass.

I go hundreds of rounds between cleaning normally unless a given gun copper fouls quickly and needs cleaning more often but this is not the norm for most barrels

Back when, I cleaned to the metal after every range trip. I noticed it took a number a shots for the gun to get 'dialed' back in. This was drilled into me by my Dad, a former Marine DI back in WWII.
When I got into the industry I started bumping into people that shot a heck of a lot more than I did. Competitors, writers, and just heavy reloaders. Almost all went without cleaning their firearms as religiously as I did.
I now will clean a rifle only after accuracy and/or velocity starts to drop off. For some of my rifles, that could be several hundred rounds. For one or two, it's after about 50 rounds.
After each range session, I simply let them sit to get to the ambient temp of the gun safe, then wipe them down with a very lightly oiled rag. I make certain the scope covers are on (it's dusty all the time here in my part of Texas) and put them in the safe.
When they do need a cleaning, I go with wipe-out or similar. Letting it sit over-night and brushing them out. Ending with dry patches until clean.
For longer term storage, I'll run a lightly oiled patch in the barrel and call it good.

I have a 100+ year old Win 94 that was my grandfather's. It comes out once a year for a cleaning and maybe a shot or two at the range then back in the safe with just the lightly oiled patch through it. When it does come to the range with me, I'll run some Butch's down the barrel on a patch then dry patch it until clean.

First and foremost, don't believe the myth that stainless steel doesn't rust. There are many grades of stainless and rust is not uncommon; even if it takes a bit longer to occur.
Waaaay back when, during my bench rest comp. days, I cleaned my rifle until there was no trace of anything. I've learned a lot since then.
Today I simply run a series of patches with Hoppe's until one comes out fairly clean, run five strokes with a bronze brush and repeat the Hoppe's sequence, dry patch; then repeat the bronze brush/Hoppe's one more time. Another couple of dry patches followed with a careful cleaning of the chamber then a bore scope inspection and a patch with Kroil before putting the rifle away. Dry patch before next shooting to remove any oil residue. Cold bore shots are on target 1/2 MOA.

Nothing... my clean cold bore shots are to unpredictable and inconsistent. My dirty bore shots are predictable and consistent. I only clean after 300-400 rounds.

Once my barrel is broke in, I don't clean until I see accuracy issues. I dont clean after deer season either. I shoot some at least once a month. If I have shot or hunted in wet conditions I will run a bore snake thru to get the moisture out.

First and foremost, don't believe the myth that stainless steel doesn't rust. There are many grades of stainless and rust is not uncommon; even if it takes a bit longer to occur.

That is the truth. Stainless still has iron in. I have a freind who owns a company that sells high stainless. I is amazing to here people argue with him that it won't rust. Every high end will eventually rust.

I give mine a complete scrub down with bore tech eliminator. Once nothing is left I'll fire a shot or two to settle it. Then when I'm done with the hunt a few more shots. I simply run a bore snake down with some bore tech and call it good. Rarely do I have to scrub anymore. If it will be sitting for a bit like over summer I run the snake down with some good old amsoil 5w50. Never had any issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts